Saracen Trekker '88.

Thanks guys.

Yes I'm really liking it so far. Really pleased to be using the original wheels, they look good.

It should be ready very soon. I sourced a U brake and its on its way, I have the four finger levers that can go on it until something better shows up and I already have the shifters, and chain. So I just need cables and grips really.

Whats the verdict on cables for re builds? I'm thinking just to go and get brand new shimano cable sets? I guess thats open to vastly differing opinions!!?

New cables are always a good idea, Shimano - no worries with that, If you can get some of the old style braided ones then excellent but they are hard to come by and usually have a heavy price

I bought a new shimano deore cable set and fitted it. Its pretty crappy TBH!! And expensive!!! I think any plain black set of better quality would be better. Even the end caps were plastic.

Never mind the gears are all working fine so very nearly done now.

Found an old Dawes bike yesterday at a house I was working at. The owner was pleased for me to take it away. Deore thumbshifters and dx groupset, 1990 I think.

The kids had spent hours painting it though so everything is covered in paint, and sticky gloss and aerosol type as well!

But the cable outers are fine, and the cables aren't rusty inside so I now have originals for my build!

Seriously covered in paint though! The thumbies are ok, and the cables, then I have salvaged some little bits and bobs that I need.

The cranks should clean up ok but the rest is going in the bin I think. The wheels are good but I dont think I have the OCD levels to clean spray paint of a a pair of wheels!

I am going to have an experiment with nitromors though and see what happens!

My second mtb....love this year of Saracen. Aquarius Blue. mmmm.

I have an original test on these from MBUK in summer 88 somewhere on this site if you search it in the mag scans section if you're interested. It's a glowing report. :D

Great bike.

Hi, I think I found that report. It has pictures of the trekker, an overburys and the Scott boulder? Is that the one?

I couldn't tell if the text to the left was actually about the trekker though, or one of the other bikes?

Back