The South East Group - Going Forward

MikeD":2z0uiinw said:
It may be worth remembering that the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate :)

Good point - well made :)

Carge":rjznl0zw said:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

MikeD":rjznl0zw said:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate

As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :LOL:

BobCatMax":itl8pm4i said:
Carge":itl8pm4i said:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

MikeD":itl8pm4i said:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate

As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :LOL:

Agree completely. Organising a ride, especially a "wild" route, takes some effort. TGR's ride earlier in the year was really good, and looking forward to a follow-up. Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

MikeD":itl8pm4i said:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)

TedC":2ka2jtzd said:
Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

In an ideal world, definitely.

TedC":2ka2jtzd said:
MikeD":2ka2jtzd said:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)

Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :LOL: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this

BobCatMax":3radf5lm said:
Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :LOL: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this

It's taken a step up the possibles ;) with or without cake. Will drop you a PM.

I havent been on here much recently due to house move and too much work , but would like to get back into it .

Some positive comments here. I've enjoyed some great rides in the SE, and would love to do more. I like the idea of a regular ride that gos the x weekend of the month. Also, how about evening rides?

The Usergroups is a good idea if the AEC/DAEC can make use of it (bulk emails/pm or infact even for a good old list of members), they need creating (like the Kona an GT fanboys ones) then it could be setup for anyone to become a member of that usergroup by just joining it.

In our area (NE&Yorks) I look out for local to me members (via the location or info posted) and PM them and send the nick to our local DAEC. We've had a few come for a ride and also we get to know who's in the area. If the user group was created I could then ask them to join up to it if they so wished.
Sometimes people just miss the ride announcements.

But if you want a ride, think of one, make possible date(s) and announce it. Get the local DAEC/AEC to do the coordination of it.

Yes turnout can be poor, some can't make Saturday, some cannot do Sundays or weather. But if you put on the ride it does mean you turn up and you wanted a ride anyway.

And Dr S's calendar of main events has worked well for our group.
But they are not the only rides, plenty of other 2 to 20 rides end up happening as people fancy.

Didn't know you could do that Fluffy, thank you

If anyone wants to be a part of the SE Usergroup then let me know via PM, I can get one set up. I won't add you unless you ask, don't worry :)

As for the Events Calender idea, I was thinking of using some kind of shared Google calender, but possibly not, as I doubt it will integrate with the forum. Dr S' simple post format is a good place to start!

Latest posts

Back