1989 Tom Bromwich

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I don't normally do 'build threads' for projects, but as this is something that may appeal to the UK massiv, and as it requires a lot of work I thought I would have a crack.

photo%2525201.JPG

The frame is a 1989 Tom Bromwich (maybe a Cyclone, not too sure), at least I am 95% sure it is, it has the same details as a number of other Bromwich frames some of which are very specific to his builds such as the dropped TT/high seat stay junction, the short chainstays, the tall head tube (in relation to the frame) and the odd threaded bar with a canti stop on it. Obviously it has had a fair chunk of use, and probably a few years languishing in a shed somewhere after it ceased to be fashionable, there is rust worming and bad chainsuck marks on the DS stay, and a cable stop on the TT needs the remains removing and replacing. Worst and most annoying part is the welded in BB, I have got as far as getting the axle out, and now it should be as 'simple' as cutting the cups out - lets see!

photo%2525202.JPG

Plan is to have the cable stop re-welded, remove the rack mounts from the Suntour dropouts (not needed, I prefer the look) and get it resprayed along with a matching fork and maybe stem. Having seen a few frames with a two-tone paint finish, but also trying to do this on a budget I have decided on a one colour finish in a pastel pink hued grey (thats right - RAL 4009 Pastel Grey if you are interested), Its also hopefully going to be finished with a 'rainbow lacquer', exactly how it sounds - subtle.

The fork has become a bit of an issue, I have a delightful fillet brazed Roberts fork that I would love to use, but the steerer is too short, I also have a lovely light Ritchey Logic, but the steerer is too short, arse. In the interests of not spending mouy wonga on extending a steerer I have sourced a Reynolds 531 curved blade fork (with a looong steerer) that I hope will A) fit, and B) look right. Hopefully said fork will look like this:

bromwich_214.jpg

I am hoping a graphic designer friend will help out with mocking up some decals in the same outline style as used at the top LH corner of the above advert too, which I will use on the DT. All the usual resources for decals I normally use came up blank for Tom Bromwich original decals, and Im not sure the traditional serif DT Bromwich logo seen on other bikes will suit the 'modern 80s' style I aiming for.

Build kit is going to be loosely based on this Tom Bromwich E stay prototype as kindly uploaded (and originally reviewed) by dronebox:

mbiker1989brompro1_211.jpg

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144462&highlight=bromwich

and also based on what I have in the spares box - thus far: Suntour XC 9000 rear mech, levers and thumbshifters; Cooks cranks; Answer taperlite bar (neon orange); Mavic Paris-Gao-Dakar hubs; Mavic MA40 or Oxygen M6 rims; Sele Turbo gel (neon orange); ODI grips; MKS pedals and Tioga toe clips (neon orange); Suntour seat and wheel QRs.

Will update as and when things happen.

Nice one Rod, glad you decided to post up some pics and your progress. Always looking to learn new things about these smaller British brands. . . . . best of British to you. :D

After a whole 3 minutes web searching I came across this:

5274664401_3f295aa8be_z.jpg

Which was what I was hoping to do, and luckily had already been done by they themselves, how prescient of me. So all I need to do is persuade someone to make that into a file, get Gil to make them and stick them on the refurbished frame.

This one might not be so easy:

100_1172.JPG

Nor this, which I prefer:

5755207112_75ae74f6fc_z.jpg

'the_duke' said:
Always looking to learn new things about these smaller British brands. . . . . best of British to you.

Me too, the last 5 bikes (projects) have been British, including some interesting stuff.

i may have a a fillet fork for can have . its only 167mm long in the steerer though.

Let me know.

Cheers
Pete

I'd never heard of Tom Bromwich before clicking this, so cheers Rod

And kudos to you for taking on another tough rescue case. It'll be interesting to see what you do and how you do it, so I am very glad you're doing a build thread!

Fork sourced (British made fillet brazed goodness), along with another potential stem and found a NOS Suntour XC 9000 in the right clamp size and BP in amongst my spares too.

Hacking away at BB cups tomorrow, fingers crossed.

hydorah":29amc2du said:
I'd never heard of Tom Bromwich before clicking this, so cheers Rod

And kudos to you for taking on another tough rescue case. It'll be interesting to see what you do and how you do it, so I am very glad you're doing a build thread!

531_respray_151.jpg

bromwich_update_826.jpg

So, 2 and a half months into this and what have I achieved?

Basically, feck all.

I have too many projects, and so it has been slowly shuffled to the back of the queue whilst I tackle simpler things. Time perhaps to make this thing happen. Perhaps.

Cool project it'll be tho'

That's a nice looking bike there LGF, love the seatstays.
Bromwich had a good reputation in Coventry for their road bikes and the MTBs always looked pretty nifty.
It's interesting to see the 'Far Gosford Street' head tube decal, -the shop later became John Atkins cycles, and is now Coventry Cycle Centre. My dad still refers to it as Bromwiches' :)

Bromwich

Ooh good luck with the resto...

Looks to me like that Bromwich advert came from an early issue of MBUK Vol.1 No 3. or summat?...

A Bromwich Cyclone frame was reviewed in Bicycle Action Magazine...the frame was made up as a testbed for the new Campag Euclid groupset. Replicating that would be a Retro challenge!

I seem to remember seeing another reviewed, poss in MBUK? but am not so sure about the details for now.

Back