BIKE WEIGHT: LB's to ST's or KG's or G's

Enid_Puceflange":1o8deh5b said:
Bathroom scales,

Get on, note weight

Get on holding bike , note weight

simple subtraction :?

G

Worryingly for me, I found mine tell lies ... :LOL: repeatable lies, but still lies ... :LOL:

cyfa2809":1o8deh5b said:
WD Pro":1o8deh5b said:
cyfa2809":1o8deh5b said:
I put mine upright on the back wheel on the bathroom scales

And it balances :shock: :LOL: ?

WD :D

Pull the brake so it doesnt move
Check 2 or 3 times

If you are balancing it, you are also taking weight :-(

If you are pulling the brake, you have lost even more feel for how it it balancing and how much weight you are taking :-( :-(

I reckon you would be better with the above method :D

In all honesty, unless we all use calibrated scales consistency / comparison on the forum is very subjective, regardless of what tolerances the scale manufactures quote :?

A lb. up or down or as a % of my body weight is nowt, but it can make quite a big difference to bragging rights on a bike forum :LOL:

Weighing Scales accuracy?

Weighing Scales accuracy......

How true the previous comment was.

I'm sure my bathroom scales, are nowhere near as accurate as my local butchers. Guess neither are most other peoples bathroom scales.

So perhaps the stated bike weight in the catalogue (Yes the weights stated are likely to be for the smallest size, without any pedals), is the most reliable figure, if you can find an original catalogue, or the manufacturers website archive.

Ok many of us use put "essential" accessories on our bikes, which shouldn’t weigh much extra over standard:

~ Wireless Bike Computer
~ Crud catchers
~ Lights (AA or AAA models should be light, other versions heavier)
~ Bar ends
~ Pump(s)
~ Water bottle cage & bottle
~ Presta to Schrader valve adaptor
~ Lock (Put that in your bag instead)

Anything else I've forgotten? Can't see many people putting a child carrier, dynamo or bike stand on their quality XC full sus.

Ok cyclists aren't easily conned as motorists (Well apart from RRP of quality bikes), when it comes to unnecessary products and services (Prime example: Disk locks for car steering wheels! What a joke, every car has a steering lock already! That's like paying to breath or making your home toilet into a pay for portoloo!)

A few dodgy MTB products that I think are gimmicks:
~ Chain Tensioners
~ Slime inner tubes
~ Tyres wider then 2.1"
~ 29" wheel MTB's
~ Single speed MTB's
~ Tubeless tyres
~ MTB's over £3000

Also of course I have a picture storyboard for the above, but many people don't find them amusing, so I won't.

I would think (hope) that your butchers scales are very good / accurate / calibrated.

As cash is involved I suspect some governing body has that side of it all under control ...

Surely its whole weight would be centred downwards?

Something to do with physics (blah blah not sure?)

I am not a physics guru but my logic tells me that unless the object (in this case a bike) needs a second (and maybe third) point of contact to balance it (in this case your hands) then these points are also taking some of the weight. If they weren't taking any weight you wouldn't need them and the object would balance without them ?

What do you think ? :?

Re: Weighing Scales accuracy?

srands":2xcfe8x5 said:

~ Tyres wider then 2.1"
~ 29" wheel MTB's
~ Single speed MTB's
~ Tubeless tyres
~ MTB's over £3000

Just shows how gullible I must be then, because I happen to have a lot of time for all of the above.......... :oops:

WD Pro":1fk65i1h said:
I am not a physics guru but my logic tells me that unless the object (in this case a bike) needs a second (and maybe third) point of contact to balance it (in this case your hands) then these points are also taking some of the weight. If they weren't taking any weight you wouldn't need them and the object would balance without them ?

What do you think ? :?

he is right, unless the bike can stand on it's own unaided and contact will add or subtract from the actual weight.

best way to weigh your bike with just bathrooms scales to hand is the simple :-

A) step on scales and note the weight.
B) pick bike up and step on scales and note the weight.
subtract A from B = bike weight.

this is however just a representative weight as bathroom scales suck, my bathroom scales had me drop a stone in weight over a 1 week period earlier this year then pile 2st back on in just under 2 weeks.

now although that is possible to do (highly unhealthy i should imagine to do) nothing in those 3 - 4 weeks changed.
similar calorie intake to normal, similar excercise regime to normal, so take your bathroom scale weight output with a pinch of salt :LOL:

I have never, ever seen anyone give a bike weight in stone. I think it should become the new standard, though :)

MikeD":3vyp2elg said:
I have never, ever seen anyone give a bike weight in stone. I think it should become the new standard, though :)

i agree i'm doing the conversion math at the min for all mine :LOL:

Re: Weighing Scales accuracy?

srands":1g6t0lrm said:
Weighing Scales accuracy......
How true the previous comment was.

I'm sure my bathroom scales, are nowhere near as accurate as my local butchers. Guess neither are most other peoples bathroom scales.

Also batchroom scales will give a different reading depending on what surface they are placed on = a hard solid surface is what should be used.

srands":1g6t0lrm said:
~ 29" wheel MTB's
~ Single speed MTB's
~ Tubeless tyres
~ MTB's over £3000

Do you own or have you ridden any of the above? If not, then your comments are ill informed.

I'm am resisting buying a 29'er as I have simply invested too much in 26'ers but the word on the dirt track is that it is the future. Just like 6, 7 and 8 speed cassettes and cantilever brakes have more or less died out, so I expect 26 to go that way but it will take a lot longer.

Back