Brake biased? Mind Job?

Too much information!
Mine is right and left feet down simultaneously and you know when they've worn cos your feet hurt!

Caps_Lock.jpg

srands":1breug3b said:
On a car, BRAKE BIASED is a predetermined PERCENTAGE (%).

No, it's not - bias (not "biased") is usually determined by a load sensing valve which serves the same purpose as our brains have to do on a bicycle.

Anyway, off-road we use brakes for a lot more than just slowing down or stopping and this whole bias percentage thing is completely irrelevant in this situation.

Pull one more then the other!

Pull one more then the other!

Pull one BRAKE LEVER more then the other BRAKE LEVER!

The two BRAKE LEVERS being FRONT and REAR, the front being applied/pulled more strongly in most circumstances, for effective/efficient braking.

Keeping it simple. You do this instinctively (Without giving it any conscious thought, you just do it!), subconsciously, depending on changing terrain and what you want to do. But you make mistakes, braking too little or too much, or terrain drastically changes (Dry to Wet), you lock up/skid and fall off.

Obviously it is very subjective how much we pull one brake lever more then the other but there will be some vague average ratio.

Myself on an offroad track braking hard, I'd guess about 70% front and about 30% rear.

But this is another mindless rant, about "What is there? This is what there is". But we should all have an interest in how what we use, how it works, shouldn't we?

srands":4ak895en said:
DOES ANYBODY KNOW what brake bias PERCENTAGE (%) we apply to our:
FRONT BRAKE?
BACK BRAKE?

If had to guess I’d say FRONT 60% and REAR 40%, approximately.

Anymore MORE educated replies with actual statistics on this?

Strands - I seem to use the rear more. I noticed this by the rear rims wearing out much faster. Now I am trying to balance it out by remembering when i am rear braking and swap it over a bit Because my wheels are so light and expensive. :LOL:

Downhills, more rear braking

It depends on the terrain doesn't it.

On downhills, I use mostly REAR, so as not to lock the front wheel (And wash out, fall off, drop off, etc).

But on flatter, smoother terrain, were the GROUND is firmer, I'd say:
~ 70% FRONT
~ 30% REAR

But depends on terrain, weather, tyre width & profile, etc.

On the following DOWNHILL VIDEO, I'd say I was braking:
~ 10% FRONT
~ 90 % REAR

VID OF ME DOING DOWNHILLS AT BARTON QUARRY

DHiRodeBtmView.JPG

DHiRodeSideView.JPG

There is no optimal brake bias when on two wheels. In the wet it is best to rely mainly on the rear brake, as it's a lot harder to catch a sliding front wheel.
In the dry I mainly use the front.

When braking on the limit, it's a bit different.

On wet roads or loose surfaces I'll lock up the rear and judge how hard I can apply the front whilst keeping sufficient traction on it.
On dry roads I use the front so hard that the rear wheel is just about to start floating, then apply a minimal amount of rear brake to stabilize the back end.

Back