The South East Group - Going Forward

TGR, I trust you are not taking my post personally? Wasn't my aim. I know that you contribute a lot to the forum / club - more than many for sure.

I was trying to add a few points for discussion, to enable others to contribute and add input.

If the input is not welcome, let me know. I didn't start this discussion, I did not diminish anyone, I did not complain.

It's people such as you that have made the forum (for me) more welcoming - if you cannot see that then I can't help you on that.

D

DA-EVO":8xebr0i2 said:
TGR, I trust you are not taking my post personally? Wasn't my aim. I know that you contribute a lot to the forum / club - more than many for sure.

Thank you, No I am not taking any of this personally. Your comments are most welcome, and I belive also sum up what most people are thinking.

Some really good ideas there D.

I guess it really comes down to communication. If you don't mind people joining your ride, post up when and where. That way if people can make it, they will, and if they can't they won't but at least we'll all know about it :)

How comfortable are people about putting facebook ID's and #tags on a public forum...I know I wouldn't put my phone number! Something to figure out there definitely. Perhaps AEC's and deputy's could maintain a list of various contact details (whatever people are happy to provide and be contacted on) as there isn't that much activity in here. Maybe a chat specific thread would change that?

Perhaps we could sticky some specific SE area threads, as in Swinley forest rides, Bedgebury rides, Arundel Rides, Surrey Hills rides, Chiltern Rides, etc, etc, for the people that do them regularly ?

I'm still thinking about this, so no doubt more to come..

Some good points raised.

Let me tell you how things have evolved in the North East.

We started before the area groups were formed, so we have an 18 month start on everyone else (except MacRetro who were the real pioneers).

Rides were small to start with, just a few regulars turning up for monthly meets. We then worked on getting the numbers up. It was all about creating a buzz. When folk see you are having fun they join in.

So key points....

Communication. You have to be a pain in the arse and make sure everyone knows what you are up to. If your ride is taking place near to the border of another area group, let them know. This often generates several new riders. We have had attendees from NWA, MacRetro, Mids and Linc & Anglia to our monthy rides because we let them know what was planned. Often joining forces with your neighbouring AEC can be a great idea- you share the load and get more bums on saddles.

Plan ahead. In late september we start a new thread to discuss where the rides will be the collowing year. Identify pockets of attendees and make sure there is a ride near to them- use their local knowledge! Ask where people want to ride, when they want to ride- saturdays or sundays, and make provision for both. Get 20 suggestions and whittle them down to 10-12 rides. Then, working together fashion them into a calendar. Loosely speaking we go for the 3rd weekend of the month. Stagger them around the area so there is always something local for some and an adventure for others- keep it fresh!
By having a calendar sorted by christmas people can make plans before holidays are booked.

Welcome all. Modern or Retro. Its more about attitude than machines. The rides are special because of the people attending, no matter what they ride. Encourage folk to bring a friend along- share costs and company on longer drives. Several of my local friends are now getting into the spirit and are rebuilding old bikes that have sat at the back of the garage for 15 years.

Keep the faith. Rome wasn't built in a day. Work together, create a sense of fun, show folk they are missing out.
Make sure each ride has a good write up and lots of quality photos. Concentrate on the scenery and smiling faces. Active members always look at aftermath threads so make sure you tempt them to your rides. Us Northerners like a road trip, so you never know you might have us roll up one morning.

Finally, don't let geography frighten you. Quality rides attract riders from far afield. NE&Yorks and MacRetro are much bigger areas, with poorer road networks and sparse membership. If we can do it, so can you. Last years BDW had people drive for seven hours in each direction to attend. Make it worth the effort and treat them well and they will be back in bigger numbers.

Best of luck guys and i hope my few tips help. Don't forget that other AECs are always there to help if you get stuck for ideas or need a little support.

SJ

There's a lot of good ideas floating around here. My main problem with life in general at the moment is time - I have basically none!!!!

In between working away sunday to friday a lot of the time and having a 4 month old little boy as well as two step sons, a wife and decorating a house, I've managed to squeeze in a rosy TWO bikes rides since Stanley was born in April, I'm not moaning about it at all, just saying I'm very busy. It would be lovely to meet up with you guys for a ride, it's just everything else gets in the way...

Although I am planning a cake and river based bimble at some point this(probably next!) year.......

If you look at other areas on here they are much more heavily populated by retrobikers, we are a bit thin on the ground in the south east, as has been mentioned before, comparing us to Macretro, for example, isn't particularly realistic!!!

Tintin mate, if you want to go for a ride, go and bloody do it! If you want to organise one, great! Your comment of "I won't hold my breath" is pretty bloody rude and certainly unfair to someone who takes unpaid and valuable time out to try and organise events for our benefit.

MacRetro looks to have lots of members yes, but they are spread over a vast area. Jamie Dyer is 6 hours away from those in the central belt for example MacRetro works because they are organised and commited. They have worked hard to make their events a success.
I would also say there are more Retrobike members in the SE than in the NE, and much closer together- it takes me over 3 hours to get to the more southernly based rides in our own area and i'm still a good hour or so from the top end of our area. You just have to find a way to get these members to become more active. It's not easy, but with time and effort it will happen.

SJ

Thanks for that Dr S, lots of good advice, and lots of things for us to try down here.

I may drop you a PM or two for some advice down the line :)

rosstheboss":1pk5eduj said:
My main problem with life in general at the moment is time - I have basically none!!!!

I think this is one of the main factors for everybody Ross, I certainly know it is for me. One of the few times I get out on a decent ride, is when I get up early and extend my commute to work

rosstheboss":1pk5eduj said:
If you look at other areas on here they are much more heavily populated by retrobikers, we are a bit thin on the ground in the south east, as has been mentioned before, comparing us to Macretro, for example, isn't particularly realistic!!!

Totally agree with you on that point, it certainly does seem that way, but I don't think Si was comparing us to MacRetro, just using them as an example..happy to be corrected though :)

and as for the last bit ross, definitely in agreement there ;)

Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

There's a few of us who meet up at Swinley from time to time, which we natter about on the SE section.

Joined TedC's ride at Bedgebury and very good it was too! Cheers again.

TGR's rides tend to be more Brighton-ish based - which is understandable as he lives that way and knows the area. I can't expect him to organise me a ride round Berks.

Therefore if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

It may be worth remembering that the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate :)

Back