Drumlanrig planning thread!

clockworkgazz":255942mk said:
loving all this last minute building- typical macretro operating proceedure :cool:
I was doon the man cave last night experimenting with tyres and rims. It would appear that 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings are too wide for the stumpy's rear, however 2.1 Tioga Factory DHs just fit, although it may still be too tight. Need to get it seated properly on the rim and play about with the pressure.

Also first time I ever blew an inner tube while pumping up a tyre. Rim unseated, inner tube spilled out and bulged massively and BANG... Not as loud as I thought it would be, probably just as well as it was rather late...

I'm hopfully re fitting my cranks tonight in their current drippy painted state. Gaz you say I'll not be in my outer ring - is it really that up-hilly? Explain what I am facing if you can, I'm generally in my outer ring for fast flat single track. Also if the downs are that technical - will a 50 ring catch too much?

Not so much uphilly as it is slow and technical, especially the start. Quite tight, twisty and of course rooty. It does open up a bit (possibly just less roots, and better able to see track ahead maybe?) after the first section, but the properly fast section is the bit that has just been re-opened after Rik's repairs - but middle ring will cover that just fine. I can't imagine a big ring catching on anything, but since I have only done part of the black, I will defer to the Big Ring Gods of the West for the final say - paging K to the thread please!

very well put ZZ, if you get your lines wrong (as if) then any outer ring could catch a big root but you will be fine with the 50, the black is just steeper so makes it a bit more scary but nothing you have not done before TK.

My 2nd last chance is if anyone has a chain tensioner,like a ging thing or the like.Still to fully explore the 113mm BB though i might have to buy retail at £25,but would still be left needing the front mech able to handle a 48t outer.
Got shoes Shimano MT41B one of the LBS's had size 12 on special @ £37,im an 11 so they fit really well,no tight anywhere but not loose either.Bargain there :D

Tomorrow will tell if im on 27 or 1x9 :?
so much running around,phoning here and there :oops: my own fault for thinking id get away with my 1x9 monstrosity :LOL:

My Muddy Fox has been ready for over a week but as is typical my scooter sits in the mechanics fully serviced and MOT'd pending the fitment of a new rear tyre. Where is the new rear tyre, the mechanics apologise for its absence, the couriers and suppliers apologise too but that doesnt get the job done. 2 days its sat waiting that tyre and if its not fitted by saturday morning then its the train to Sanquhar and a 10 mile cycle with less kit than I wanted to bring :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nothing is simple :LOL:

Alas no, cash is tight, every expense has been put on hold until it has to be dealt with. Scooter needed MOT'd first so got priority, hopefully tyre will be fitted before Saturday. Microcar has to wait until September at earliest. Bills, bills, bills a normal August for me, not quite sure how I've managed to stuff up August every year for at least a decade, natural talent I guess. Normal service again hopefully by October :LOL:

Back