Gates Belt Drive

Not too sure Trek uses Gates on their Soho,

mud 'mmm :roll:

stays%20clean%20in%20mud.jpg

I believe Gates are working on/have a new system that deals with some of the initial problems, like some of the tensions required have been addressed with a new design.

yo-eddy":387osvou said:
Not too sure Trek uses Gates on their Soho,

mud 'mmm :roll:

http://waterloobikes.ca/2010/12/20/review-trek-soho-dlx-fail/

heres the link to the other guy's blog who had a soho with the same issue i had...

http://www.thehubcycleworks.co.uk/products/trek-soho-belt-drive

"The 8-speed belt drive features a Gates Carbon Drive belt"
Although in fairness to you they also do a traditional chain version of the trek soho...its about half the price.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-are-belt-drives-getting-on

Is an interesting ongoing discussion about the belt drive bikes, but yeah from what i tried i won't be going back in a hurry...not whilst chains are cheap anyway.

i must be missing something but the advantage over conventional chain drive being what?

I know harley davidson have been using these for primary and final drive. main reason being to cushion the rear drive, not an issue with a sub 1 hp motor on a bke (i.e. the rider) but HD riders don't go through mud like we do.

eys, chain and derailleur are a brutal design but work very well and fpr weight/cost/performance, there is no IMO viable alternative at the mo.

02gf74":3lld1ji2 said:
i must be missing something but the advantage over conventional chain drive being what?

I know harley davidson have been using these for primary and final drive. main reason being to cushion the rear drive, not an issue with a sub 1 hp motor on a bke (i.e. the rider) but HD riders don't go through mud like we do.

eys, chain and derailleur are a brutal design but work very well and fpr weight/cost/performance, there is no IMO viable alternative at the mo.

Well the way i was sold it on a commuter bike was that the lack of chain meant : -

1)no risk of getting oil on your clothes - not really relevant to offroading
2)no need to maintain it - they forgot to mention the tension issues or the problems when you got a flat on the back tyre.
3)pretty much unbreakable - no complaints there, i didnt manage to break one.
4)longer life than a chain- i suppose...but then again I don't even think i did that many miles on it and when a chain costs about a tenner its a bit void.
5)lower weight- well that's offput by the hub gear, but could be true for a single speed weight weenie build.
6)silent so you could hear risks around you better- it was eerie at first, but road noise was about the same at speed anyway i'm not that hard of hearing.
7)General other advertising bullshit. - fell for that one

I bought into it as i liked the principle of moving bikes forward (pardon the pun), i mean the chain has been around for so long any new drive innovation should be fostered but this one dissappointed me...early adopters usually get screwed though so i had it coming.

Maybe their newer stuff is better, I've heard even the trek soho has had an upgrade on the rear hub because they were shredding the aluminium cog so its been replaced with a harder wearing item.

Its just a quirky alternative, its probably great for a single speed bike for city use for 90% of the year. I'm sure that the cunning mountainbike boys who are building these belt drive bikes will iron out all the glitches and it will be all good...but i'd wait for that to happen before jumping back in.

Not to mention the price....132 quid for a 50 tooth chain ring? I could buy a good retro bike for that!

Even if all the problems were solved I'd probably stick to a chain drive system anyway.

Been looking into this for ages and was about to commit and buy a set for an Orange P7 frame I had but then heard about the new Centre track system.

Since I got the Sawyer I have been waiting to get a new Centre track system for it as the frame is split at the back which will allow me to fit the belt without any issues

Last date I saw for the new system was around Christmas so hopefully get a set for the Sawyer and see how it goes :)

Attachments

• CenterTrack-Drivetrain-System-300x222.jpg
    CenterTrack-Drivetrain-System-300x222.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 247
Back