Late 70's Bob Jackson fixie/singlespeed (now finished)

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
This is my now finished Bob Jackson.

What I've tried to do is make something that looks oldy and fast, with a few comtemporary touches. I know it's going to split opinions on here because fixies aren't popular. I mainly ride fixed because my commute is long and flat and I can make some good progress with fixed gearing. I normally run 52/18 with 27" wheels, but this chainring is 48T with 700c wheels, so I thought I'd give my 15T rear cog a go...

Currently looking like this:

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

Previous build pics:

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7317.JPG

IMG_7318.JPG

IMG_7319.JPG

IMG_7320.JPG

IMG_7322.JPG

Obligatory lgfss wide angle distortion arty shot:

IMG_7323.JPG

I've had the frame sitting around for a while since I bought it off Old Ned, and I've been trying to work out what to do with it without spending too much. It's a waste having it sat on top of the wardrobe so I decided to use up a few parts in stock to build a bike up. I built some wheels on track hubs a while back so I thought I'd use them and took the opportunity to buy some new track cranks to match. The bars are off another bike, cut down from drops and were sitting in the box ready to go, but need the bar tape wrapping back on. Brakes are non-aero Weinmann levers and some Cannondale calipers that I might change. Saddle is just a piece of junk and is to be replaced with a Flite or something like a 90's Selle. The pedals are temporarily borrowed off my Viscount.

Spec as follows:

Frame: late 70's Bob Jackson TT frame in special Columbus steel

Fork: plate type, matching the frame

Headset: Tange Falcon
Stem: 90's Raleigh
Handlebar: cut down and flipped Raleigh drops
Bar Tape: Italian make, perforated, can't remember

Brake Levers/Brifters: bare Weinmann, non-aero
Brake Calipers: late Cannondale (now early 90's Shimano Exage)
Brake Pads: unknown
Brake Cables: Wilkinson specials

Shifters: n/a
Front Derailleur: n/a
Rear Derailleur: n/a
Derailleur Cables: n/a
Cassette: n/a
Chain: YBN 1/8 track chain
Cranks: Andel RSC7-7172
Chainrings: 48T front, 15T rear
Bottom Bracket: Tange LN 3922
Pedals: MKS Sylvan

Rims: Velo Orange Paris-Brest
Hubs: Akor track
Hub Skewers: n/a
Nipples: hehehe
Spokes: stainless db
Tyres: Michelin Pro 3
Tubes: Raleigh

Saddle: black nylon
Seatpost: Campag aero
Seatpost Binder: ?

Bottle Cage: n/a
Extras: n/a

Weight: 7740g without the pedals or saddle

Loving the bike, the black stem and cow horns kinda suits it.

I don't get the fixie haters, a bike's a bike! Maybe call it "1950's time trial trim" and there'd be a bit more love for them?! :D

Hahaha!

I took it for its first ride this morning, just up to the supermarket and back. It rides very nicely, nice aggressive riding position but very comfortable. It's a small frame but the bottom bracket is very low, so it's not small to ride - just got to watch out for those kerbs! The gearing is spot on and can really get a move on. The headset has also settled in, so that needs nipping up, plus I've not ridden without brakes before... need to get them plumbed in asap :D

I'm SO looking forward to commuting on this.

looking good. as to fixies, there's nothing wrong a little elegant simplicity where the terrain allows it :) there's always a place for them in the flatlands around cambridge!

Looks quite elegant, I tried riding fixed for an afternoon on an old bike with a flip-flop hub and it didn't agree with me, but each to their own!

Putting on bar tape isn't easy, and I guess it doesn't help with brakes on there and no bar ends. But even so... ;)

Clean up the bar tape, lose a lever and a calliper(rear!) and get a new saddle then your in business.

Would prefer to see it brought back to it's former glory, but I guess it's good that it's getting ridden :D

Can't wait to find my own bob Jackson project!

Thanks for the kind words :)

So I've had a few teething troubles but nothing that can't be fixed.

I have decided I HATE sealed bearing head sets. You knew where you stood with the old tapered ones, but this one seems to require constant attention. I thought I'd got the cups all the way home, so I'm HOPING once it's settled in it'll stop working loose.

Vertical drop-outs and fixed don't mix. Now the chain has settled in and stretched a bit it's too slack and it's jumped off a few times. I didn't enjoy that and it's eaten all the spokes on that side. No worries - I have spares. I tried a chain tensioner but the jockey wheel was too deep and it contacted the spokes. My next trick is to try a cog with one more tooth, which should pull the wheel forwards by 3mm. It should be nearly spot on and the drop-outs aren't completely vertical, so it should be good to go. If it's too much then I'm prepared to notch the axle to get it in. Sounds drastic, but it'll only be ~0.5mm and at worst case to the bottom of the thread.

Saddle is now swapped to a shiny narrow nylon 70's one. It really suits the bike. I may switch to black bar tape to match. We'll see...

I'm just itching to get it back on the road now :D

Man, I had the same problem when I did a road conversion for my girlfriend, half links can help, it took me ages to sort the gear ratio, for a while she was riding 49/15, eased it down to 44/15, but the chain was too tight and sounded like a chainsaw. Whereabouts are you? Could give you a half link if you need..

D

Latest posts

Back