restoring holdsworth and need some help

mlasham

Retro Newbie
Hi
I have a Holdsworth I bought second hand as a young teenage back in the early 80s.
When I first had it the bike was a lilac colour, and since then I've resprayed it a few times.
I am now looking at getting it painted profesionally, either wet spray or powder coated. Not sure which is best.

I think it is a Zephyr but am not sure.
They serial number is 24560.

Does anyone know what the original colours are likely to have been?

pictures soon when my post count is high enough.

Thanks
Michael.

top.jpg

front-badge.jpg

forks-front.jpg

bottom.jpg

back.jpg

I love the detail and little flourishes on that frame. I'm just a little bit jealous, to tell you the truth.

Is it steel or alloy?

That's blooming gorgeous! http://www.nkilgariff.com/ is a bit hard to navigate, but if you click on the "models" tab on the left, scroll down to the models listed in the 1952 catalogue and click on "Zephyr", you'll get the history of that model. Scroll down again to where it talks about the new lugset being introduced in the 1958 / 59 model year and bingo! There's a picture of a flamboyant red seat cluster that looks identical to yours. In the 1961 catalogue, it says you could have had your Zephyr in any colour you wanted pretty much....

Hi
Just an update on my old Holdsworth. Thanks to the help above I believe it is a pre 1962 Zephyr track and path frame.

I am in the process of getting it repainted.
The frame number is 24580 - and I'd like to see if there is any information anywhere linked to the frame number. Ideally I would like to know exact year of manufacture so I can get the correct decals and renolds transfers for it.

Could anyone help with the frame number information please?

2013-04-10 09.21.34 by mlasham, on Flickr

2013-04-10 14.23.46 by mlasham, on Flickr

2013-04-10 09.21.46 by mlasham, on Flickr

Holdsworths of this age seemed to come in a variety of different colours and finishes - from chrome to metallic colours to white enamel. They often have a different coloured panel on the seat and head tube and be embellished with box lining etc so its hard to give a specific answer. The decals may have been the W F Holdsworth one with the W above the F......I think. This is the way Im seeing the paint work on a Cyclone deluxe Im about to have repainted

Back