My 99 Lobo Restoration and build

kase1983":21oiutqe said:
if you need a front wheel ive got a black hope big un on mavic 321

^ You see this
We're gonna be fighting over parts all summer!!

That paint though, Ouch. I have a quote from a proper powdercoat place for £35+vat for the whole shebang. You confident enough to do it? Fair enough. :D

Thanks for the wheel offer but I'm ok, over to you mate :D

I'm spent out this month unless a shock appears! If anyone has a shock BTW get in touch. :D

I might reanodise my hubs, one as new Big Un rear, one faded Big Un rear and one totally pink Big Un front and a black Hope something front. I just need two to match!! :evil:

Looks like a 19mm ID o-ring of 4-5mm thickness is just what the main pivot needs, a 25mm countersunk washer on top of the lot with two anodised bolts meeting in the middle of the pivot tube should recreate the missing bearing cover nicely.

http://www.pro-bolt.com/Products/Alumin ... sunk_Packs

Half way down this thread I talk bit about painting and some pics.
I'm pretty confident it'll be ok, it will cost me a lot of time and piss me off but I'll be happy in the end :LOL:

Yeah i would report him on ebay.
Also , to be honest i don't think you have done too badly though.
I have been sold a lot worse , hence i no longer use ebay.
Boxxer bushings are £90.00 so try and get some 151 to overhaul.
I remember there were new lobo shocks on ebay for £40.00
Also i would put some hope m4's on there as aposed to the mono 6 ti.
Just so happens i have a lovely set with braided hoses and aztec rotors if you want to swap.
There are 2 front calipers post and I.S loads of spares too.
The main concern i would look at is the pivot , it will be a paint to get out and a even bigger paint to source one , so you may need to go to an engineer.
Or get a set of 2001 junior t with the m arch , or a nice set of RST mozo XXL would look sweet.
I would keep the grey rims on there.

I love these bikes and have always wanted one , also dent wise , try having it brazed.

Jay

Feel your pain on the initial inspection you gave it but this is making a great read. Plenty of pics as you go along please.

Gonna be a bit slow for a week or so because I have another build on for someone else and I only have a couple of hours a day but I promise I'll post to completion, even if its christmas :D

Stripped completely now, everything is apart. As you would expect really, all roller bearings have had it, the plastic bushes are sketchy in places too but nothing broken. When I took it apart it had the feel and look like it had been done once before, maybe early in its life. I don't think it had any work recently other than putting as much 3in1 oil as possible in all the bearings and pivots :twisted: One odd bolt which looks like someone has taken a saw to it and I had a hard job with the lower chainstay bolts which are like chain ring bolts, torque spec is something like 10ft lbs but were more like 40ft lbs! No bearings in here though, just plastic...

Those damn dents...

No idea here, this bolt is completely contained in the rear stay, you cannot see the cut part unless you undo the nut and push it out, so how or why it was sawed I don't know? Rounding of the hex is not me, I used Plus Gas on everything and let them soak overnight to make sure they would undo easy.

Not looking forward to polishing that rear, the swingarm / lower stay weighs very close to the same weight as the triangle. It is stupidly heavy, how the hell anyone has broken one I don't understand!

ramstein-dh":1jr4jow5 said:
Yeah i would report him on ebay.
Also , to be honest i don't think you have done too badly though.
I have been sold a lot worse , hence i no longer use ebay.
Boxxer bushings are £90.00 so try and get some 151 to overhaul.
I remember there were new lobo shocks on ebay for £40.00
Also i would put some hope m4's on there as aposed to the mono 6 ti.
Just so happens i have a lovely set with braided hoses and aztec rotors if you want to swap.
There are 2 front calipers post and I.S loads of spares too.
The main concern i would look at is the pivot , it will be a paint to get out and a even bigger paint to source one , so you may need to go to an engineer.
Or get a set of 2001 junior t with the m arch , or a nice set of RST mozo XXL would look sweet.
I would keep the grey rims on there.

I love these bikes and have always wanted one , also dent wise , try having it brazed.

Jay

These are Boxxer 151's but I am in two minds, I fancy later model ones but I want to keep some retro'ness to the build and they are a major part. Won't take much effort to paint, so I'll rebuild with current bushings, new seals and oil then see how they perform. RST Mozo? :oops: Super T's maybe but they look so hardcore its probably too much!

The pivot is about the only part I've been able to buy! It is clamped into the frame and not really that tight in the roller bearings, both came out pretty easy using a socket drift.

I'm big on brakes, its gotta be the 6Ti or later Mono 6 but post mount looks silly on IS forks, 6Ti looks mean :evil: Not looking forward to swapping all the seals in it though I must admit :)

WOW! I did not realise there were so many dents on the top tube , as on the first pics i can only see 1 , the best way to cover these up is car body filler i'm afraid.
What about getting some blobs of aluminium welded in there?
And then you can grind and sand them smooth.

99 lobo

wow mate sorry to hear about your woes i nearly bid on that, sold my 1992 lava dome to raise some cash but it went for more than i wanted/could afford, ended up buying a very nice LTS frame instead. i hope you get it sorted, powdercoat or paint might be the best route those are some nasty dings, i ll follow this to the end as it might just have been me, good luck.

cheers drew

Back