Fat Chance Buck Shaver! updated 21/11/12

i have been having a measure up of the frame to suss out stem length etc and i am quite surprised to find the that the toptube is 1/4 inch shorter than the vitamin t2 i have (which is preferable in this case) but also comparing the headtubes, the fat chance headtube is 90mm and the vit t2 is 120mm, so 30mm difference, but the fat is getting an 80mm bomber on it which means it's 30mm longer a-c than the pace fork on the vit t2.

so i think the position on the fat will be very similar to the vit t2 and i really like that position, so this could be a very interesting bike to ride.

steel, check, front suss, check, brakes that work, check, potentially good position, check!

:D

Looking good Jon :cool:
I think the wheels are either going to go really well, or not :LOL: :LOL:
Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at MM :D

right bit of an update on this, some of you saw this completely built and riding at mayhem, i wasn't really happy with the build, but it rode really nicely. very smooth, probably a combination of steel frame, suspension fork and spinergy wheels. it was like riding on carpet! :D

but for various reasons it looked like a lash up special!! :oops:

since being home from mayhem i noticed oil weeping (read pissing) out of one of the legs on the forks so i didn't ride it after mayhem and i had some other things occupying my time so it got left. well last night i decided it was time to get the thing sorted so the forks got stripped! seals were dead! but i decided that one of the reasons it had a lash up look was the difference in the red frame and the red forks, looked poo!

so i have decided to get the forks painted but should i get the frame done aswel?

the frame looks ok but it seems like a while i'm at it issue! because i can etc! but in keeping with buck shaver style i was thinking white frame and fork, meaning not an outlandish Fat style super bling paint job, just something simple.

anyway here's some pics :D because i know you like pics!

Attachments

• buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3,132
  • buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 3,132
  • buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3,132
  • buck4.jpg
    buck4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 3,132
a couple more :)

look at those stanctions, over 10 years old and still spot on. :cool:

Attachments

• buck5.jpg
    buck5.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 3,131
  • buck6.jpg
    buck6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,131
Out of curiosity , what was the original fork length on the Buck Saver, as I did not think that was a suspension corrected frame?

Looking good. I think a respray would be a good idea, not sure about whiter personally, but would definatly tidy the look up. I actually found some Original Buck Shaver decals from a guy in Germany. I'll try and dig his details out for you. If you do repaint it deserves proper decals under the clearcoat.

I think the buck was suspension corrected but only a tiny bit. So think 48mm travel Mantous and Mag21. However they all have quite steep angles so a slightly longer fork such as a 63mm Judy XC still rides well.

well i'm not sure what length fork it was designed for, mainly as i haven't investigated but it rode really nice with the marzocchi on it, it's only a short travel fork so should be fine.

htere is some logic to my colour choice of white though, first of all it's simple and clean but also i am likely to still be using the spinergy wheels in the bike which have the bright yellow spokes, when i got the spinergy wheels i didn't have any choice on the colour of the spokes so i got stuck with yellow, i would have preferred black or white but the red and yellow together is a bit eye ball stinging! so i thought white frame and fork with silver and black components with the spinergy wheels and then stickers the same as the current ones, black and yellow.

it doesn't need a repaint but it would look awesome i think.

paint wise i was thinking of using Argos again as their stickers on the muddy fox were perfect and they had those made, but we'll see.

:)

update time!! :D :D

i got the frame back from Argos cycles yesterday, wow! so chuffed! :D :D

my original intention when i got to Argos a month so ago was to have the frame and fork done in white then just copy the original stickers in the yellow and black, which would mean the spinergy wheels would have looked ok.

then i went for a chinese with John the night before the Drumlanrig Scottish meet, he mentioned the Fatlanta decals that Gil was playing with, a few emails later and Gil sent them to Argos for me.

Cut to yesterday and i have my grubby little hands on it! :D :D

have decided to go a little more modern on this, shimano m750 XT, got most of the parts already, i just need to get the forks reassembled but i need the bushes and seals (ordered) i am gonna try and have it done for the next national event.

Attachments

• fat4.jpg
    fat4.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,228
  • fat3.jpg
    fat3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • fat2.jpg
    fat2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,228
  • fat1.jpg
    fat1.jpg