1991 Muddy Fox Seeker Mega - then there were 2/mounting bike

Stodgy

Retro Guru
Just picked this up for £30.

Not done anything to it yet. The photo does not do it justice - it really is a shed. All original though, right down to the Muddy Fox tyres!

Frame is servicible with bits of rust but not too bad, but I think it need the following parts to make it good. Question is, is it worth it, or is it best to just use it as a pub bike?

Needs:
Tyres/tubes.
Probably wheels as spindles and spokes are rusty.
Cables and outers all round.
Stem.
Bars.
Grips.
Chain.
A good service.

To get it nice it would also need:
Brake levers and STi shifters.
Cantis.
Saddle.
Seatpost.
Pedals.
Skewers.
Seat clamp.

Front and rear mechs? Maybe.

I have some of these bits that can go on.

Why did I buy it? Well, £30 for a bit of history and the frame could be something to work with.

Attachments

• seeker.jpg
    seeker.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 3,496
:shock: pub bike. NO way. £30 is a bargain. Put spd's on it and ride and enjoy the countryside

excellent buy. i want it

It's 18.5 I think. I'm quite tall but don't mind a small frame. Plenty of seatpost available.
I've found in my stock 1991 deore lx front and rear mech, lx brakes, lx crankset and dx shifters. Have some newer cantis. Also have loads of cables and skewers. Just need stem, bars and wheels.

Would the head tube be 1" on this era of bike?

Hopefully should be ok after all that. Cheers for comments.

My MF of that vintage had a 1'' steerer.
Hope there will be more pictures as you replace the parts.
You will remove the wheel reflectors?

Yes, reflectors will go. Thanks for size advice.

Stripped bike today. Very little useable. Bottom bracket old spindle and bearing type - full of rust. Shifters rusted inside. Mechs might be ok. Stem might be ok but bars very rusty. Brakes might be salvageable. Cranks good too- chainrings show very little signs of use. 

Frame weighs just over 3kg without fork! Mighty. 

Sprayed some wd40 into the tubes on frame and forks and the brown fluid of doom ran out. Much more from forks as frame seems better. 
Is this really bad or will it be ok after a bit of touching up and tlc? 

Considering getting a better frame to do up, but that could be another project. 

Didn't come from Bordon on Ebay did it?
I had one of these and sold it to baz77 and he loves it. It has exactly the same frame as my Sorcerer Mega (full cromo mega outer butted tubeset) which is not massively light but is strong and gives a really nice ride. It uses a 1 1/8th head tube and will quite happily take a short travel fork (Mag 20/21 would be good with this colour) if that's what you are getting at and it will certainly not be out shone by Deore LX kit.
One thing we both found was that by fitting a 120mm 5 degree stem it gives a much better riding position wihh cis nive and racey but not overstretched like it felt as stock.
I will probably keep my Sorcerer forever as I love the frame design and ride and it has a great paint job and the only reason I sold the Seeker was I preferred the paint job on the Sorcerer.

Carl.

Fantastic for only the price of a cheap pair of tyres.
On that note what are the condition of the tyres on there,if your lucks in theyre not cracked.Always the hard part-finding the correct tyres in decent condition.
Bit of steel wool and bit of hard work and it will come up nice.Quality always shines through :D

Back