Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

letmetalktomark":2vifn86v said:
**Cough** changing stems **Cough** ;)

I think it will be the CK that will be staying ... :-(

Fudd":2vifn86v said:
Very nice build and possibly the most ti fitted to a bike I've ever seen, but its your patience and attention to detail that really impresses me. Top work fella ;)

Thank you :cool:

I am still missing quite a few bits that 'could' be Ti though - spokes, pedal spindles etc :LOL: Why does no one make Ti presta valve caps ? :? or M970 crank bolts ? :? Or M970 combo brake lever bolts ? :?

mikesnowdon":2vifn86v said:
Someone pm me in about years time so I can check in and see if hes finally done this bike :roll:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's quite an aggressive timescale ... :LOL:

I have quite a lot going on with other commitments, bikes come a little down the list :-( The only advantage is a lot of time to wait for the very best deals on the parts you need :cool:

WD :D

What an amazing time I spend reading this thread about your Ti project.

Its really great and all taken to detail, I like it also but you dont really have rush to have the Bike ready, just to have it perfect, congratulations ;)

:cool:

Nuno

Word of warning, I've had my Goodridge cables on for a couple of weeks now and the wire inside the outers is starting to rust at the ends and looks pretty naff! Going to contact CRC tomorrow to see what they say.

Incredible detail and almost clinical build quality. Superb. Just a note if those are new Rock Shox - I would recommend to actually "service them" before your first ride. I know it sounds strange but when I changed the travel from 100mm to 80mm I found small steel shards in both stanchions (left over from them cutting the threads in the tops) and no oil in the fork leg bottoms and positive air chamber - there was fork grease though but this gives more stiction and the forks don't feel as plush as they should. I have understood this is a little weight saving measure and helps "less leaks" prior to the point of sale. You wouldn't expect it, especially on the high end stuff.

Nick C":3czmzctk said:
Word of warning, I've had my Goodridge cables on for a couple of weeks now and the wire inside the outers is starting to rust at the ends and looks pretty naff! Going to contact CRC tomorrow to see what they say.

Thanks for the heads up :D how did you get on with CRC ?

When I fitted mine I filled the end caps up with grease so that should hold it back for a while, not good long term though … :?

Woz":3czmzctk said:
Incredible detail and almost clinical build quality. Superb. Just a note if those are new Rock Shox - I would recommend to actually "service them" before your first ride. I know it sounds strange but when I changed the travel from 100mm to 80mm I found small steel shards in both stanchions (left over from them cutting the threads in the tops) and no oil in the fork leg bottoms and positive air chamber - there was fork grease though but this gives more stiction and the forks don't feel as plush as they should. I have understood this is a little weight saving measure and helps "less leaks" prior to the point of sale. You wouldn't expect it, especially on the high end stuff.

Thanks to you to for the heads up :D

I will strip them in due course (and before I use them) as I want them set at 100mm – I will report back what I find …

Now the Marin is finally finished the Airborne will get any spare ‘bike’ time that I have :D

As a remnant of the Proflex build I had a 971 front mech :

DSC04764.jpg

but it didn’t really suit the angle of the frame boss for the top cable routing. I sold it on the forum and after a good wait, managed to source this new for £50 from Rutland :

DSC06745.jpg

(New dining table = new photo backdrop :LOL: )

The Ti bolts swapped over from the other mech OK but it suited a slightly shorter clamp bolt and adjustment screws, the later were swapped with the rear mech and both actually fitted better so I guess I might have been supplied the wrong stuff ?

I had been looking for ages for one of these :

ea878e20.jpg

To find it I have been contacting every seller of a Airborne frame or complete bike that I have found on the net asking them if they would part with the head badge :shock:

Responses mostly consisted of nothing :-( or “Buy the bike, remove the head badge, sell the bike … :-(

Then a guy (shop owner) in America contacted me and said he had found one laying around and sent me the picture above ! :cool:

The frame he was selling had the new style head badge but I actually wanted the old style (as above), how lucky was that !

It arrived safely but needed the old glue cleaning off and I refinished it go get rid of the scratches, it came out really well :

DSC06811.jpg

I had a problem with the King cassette lock nut :? It wouldn't tighten the cassette so after a bit of reading up I decided it was the type that needed a thin spacer behind the cassette to allow it to clamp up. One spacer later it tightend up OK but I noticed the outer cog only just engaged on the spline and the lock ring was very close to the end of the axle (hence dropout face) :?

A bit more investigation revealed that the Shimano lockring worked without the spacer, the crossmax hub isn't threaded very deeply and the King locknut is longer than the Shimano version ... A bit of sanding with the emory soon took the extra mm or so off the back (King on the left) :

DSC06793.jpg

Works perfect now :D

That head-badge story is so cool. I would be tempted to rivet the damn thing on after that trouble ;)

just read through (well, skimmed, and perved at the pictures mostly) your thread......

i need a new pair of pants now.... :oops:

Latest posts

Back