Retro/Modern Fausto Coppi (revised with quill stem)

gavr

rBotM Winner
Here's my second effort, possibly not retro enough for some but a light-ish and stiff racy ride in steel. Now with quill stem

Frame: Fausto Coppi by Masciaghi

Fork: Columbus EL

Headset: Campagnolo Record
Stem: 3TTT
Handlebar: ITM Millenium
Bar Tape: Fizik Microtek

Brake Levers/Brifters: Dura Ace 7800
Brake Calipers: Dura Ace 7800
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Salmon
Brake Cables: Transfil nox snake

Front Derailleur: Dura Ace 7800
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7900
Derailleur Cables: Dura Ace 7800
Cassette: Dura Ace 7900 12-27
Chain: Dura Ace 7800
Cranks: Dura Ace 7950 Compact
Bottom Bracket: Dura Ace 7900 Italian
Pedals: Dura Ace 7810

Rims: Ambrosio Excellence
Hubs: Dura Ace 7900 36H
Hub Skewers: Dura Ace 7900
Spokes: DT Competition
Tyres: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel
Seatpost: Campagnolo Chorus

Bottle Cage: LifeLine Black alloy

Weight: 7.5 kg or thereabouts

Attachments

• 2011-08-051.jpg
    2011-08-051.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,673
  • IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 2,686
generally i like what you have done there, i have a coppi galaxy frame which is lovely, there are only 2 things that spoil it for me, the stem arrangement, please find a suitable quill stem and lose the adaptor assembly, and on a personal note i don't like the new dura ace, too dark for my liking. i think the previous version might have being a little nicer having a more polished look.

bet it rides lovely though :)

Agree about the 7900 - a bit ugly, even close up. I wanted the compact chainset though and when you have that you might as well have the RD too. The FD needs to be 7800 with the 7800 STIs, which I already had keeping the cost down a bit.

The other aim of the project was to build out of parts that are still widely available new, so a quill stem was not really an option either - unfortunately. I bet the frame would look great with a C-record or a 7400 gruppo.

I like it.

I liked the 653 retro modern Dave Russell on this forum too.

I'm going to do something similar in the future.... this has just crystallized what I'm going to do. Just got to get the components together.

The coppi frames look to be really tidy. I have to agree, I would change the stem.

gavr":3ku7st5x said:
The other aim of the project was to build out of parts that are still widely available new, so a quill stem was not really an option either - unfortunately.

i have just picked up a NOS ITM eclipse stem in 110mm for i think £15 + postage from ebay, although i'd prefer a cinelli really, if i find a cinelli stem for my project i would happily sell you the eclipse, it would look lovely on there.

:)

Out of interest & purely for reference purposes, how much did a pair of Ambrosio Excellence on DuraAce wheels cost to get built up (or procure if 2nd hand)?

Lovely bike &, similar to Toomski, I'm now toying with idea of doing something similar with my 1991 Cougar.

GlasgowSUFC said:
Out of interest & purely for reference purposes, how much did a pair of Ambrosio Excellence on DuraAce wheels cost to get built up (or procure if 2nd hand)?

i can't remember it was a little while ago when the 7900 were new. Got them made up at Paul Hewitt, I supplied hubs (Jan sales) they did the rest.

GlasgowSUFC......I'm building up a Cougar too!! I'll keep a look out for your thread.. :D

There's a couple of Cougars on here already.

Here's a pic of me F&F....

(Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!g0E3um(BSOBBOCJ4hZf-!~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!g0E3um(BSOBBOCJ4hZf-!~~_12.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,508
Back