Carlton Flyer

Banashapan

Retro Guru
Some of you may remember this frame appearing on here, which i was lucky enough snap up... due to my current situation, its become a long term project, must of been done as a special at somepoint due to the lugset and the random frame number.

When i received the frame, gave it a good glance over and seat lug was cracked... after being told it was all well and good... nevermind, can't complain considering what I paid for it! :cool:

I'll eventually get round to new paint to do it justice, some classic drops and different front brake setup are next on the list, oh and a replacement seat.

Was lucky enough to be donated some period track hubs from a team rider at my old work, rear Resilion and an unknown front hub, which I've built into mavic rims to get me rolling, an evenings tinkering and it's built.

Apologies for the horrific state/ paintwork, this has been used...

5967231077_af27b901b2_z.jpg

5967787606_54038d25b3_z.jpg

5974466831_c962f3114b_z.jpg

Always nice to see these old track frames come out. Interesting lugwork, does the frame carry a number/letter prefix? - usually on the rear stay...

I've had a really good look for numbers/letters, the only thing I can find is an 'RT' stamped into the BB shell and on the fork steerer, theres also a number '2' stamped in the same locations, but not inline/situe with the letters.

continue to wonder is theres any other markings hiding under the paint anywhere... would be a bonus to know its age.

Hi OldTel,

Thanks for the link, I've had a look before- and yes the lugs are the same.

I can only guess that it was a 'special' done at some point with the International Lugset, or done in a small batch(?) It has the seat and head lugs from this lugset, but bb shell is about as standard as they come and not from the International lugset.

Have only seen pic's of 2 others, but I'm sure there must be more hiding away...

Carlton in the fifties would supply any personal order, so thats what this is, and there lies the dating problem. Check out other 1950's Carlton Track bikes, and try to date with the rear stay treatment and the dropouts, which do look later than earlier. One last thought, the dropouts could of been replaced, they don't look period, hence no Carlton Serial number. Terry

If I was to guess a decade I would have said 50's.

I'd be surprised if the dropouts had been replaced, I've seen a couple of track bikes from this era with the same Campag track ends.

...I'll have another look for any stamps when the paint comes off...

So the paint hasn't come off yet as I can't imagine having it in parts at the moment- too much fun to ride. Have updated a few bits n bobs recenty...

Got rid of the bullhorns, and little brake lever, and the slick summer rubber. The tatty old Selle saddle has also gone.

So heres the update-

6339886955_10015bdc56_z.jpg

Back