My dead 753r Geoffrey Butler ... "Re-born" unusual

That seatpost looks like it's too far out of the frame to be safe.

If it's a Campagnolo 2 bolt N. Record or Gran Sport with a length of 180mm (counting only the round section), then the minimum insertion mark is 50mm from the bottom, leaving a maximum of 130mm exposed seatpost.

Hi Fiks, well spotted buddy :) The seat tube is actually 50mm past the limit line. It had to be so for me to test ride it. I ride a 58-60cm frame and this is only a 54cm, but it held for 32 tough miles :)

Bike is sold now because despite everything building it put me through, it is so small as to be unrideable for me. Love the bike in every way, but not silly enough to ride 50mm above limit line for long.

The person who is inheriting it is 110mm shorter in the leg than me, so I have dropped the post back to a "good height". Even at the height it is, its still to short.

Hope you like the general idea though Fiks, eventhough it is still decals short of finished. Thanks for calling by, yours Laz.

It does look like there's hardly seatpost in the frame. I'm surprised it held for 32 miles!

Of course someone else in this situation might have used a modern seatpost, but to have a hugely long seatpost sticking out on that frame would have ruined the look of the bike, although that is the current fashion now.

Hi again Fiks :) Call me old fashioned buddy. I love the seatpost on the limit line, especially aero seatposts. Detest seeing saddles on the "crossbar" and not a fan of "scaffold poles for seatposts either.

Really loved this bike, especially after the test run, god it was such a smooth ride, what with being 753. Always wanted a 753, and so bought 1 without even looking at the frame size, figuring, an extended seatpost would do the trick.

Ah well Fiks, had a 753 now, and its definately on the agenda to get me another only the correct size this time. Read all about how smooth the ride was on a 753, and if you aint already had a go on 1, try them :)

I honestly had to work in a mild crosswind on the stearing the front was so light. Used to riding Columbus SL/SLX /531 with heavier forks and clinchers, but this has 1960's GP4's on it with Competition tubs. Total weight of 8.2kg. My other bikes are 10kg+ Gonna miss this baby thats for sure, until I get another.

Later Fiks, Laz.

I just prefer her as she was which was a much better looking bike than the reborn version you have now. Sorry if you don't like it but the bike should have stayed the same when you renovated her

Hi Nob, no probs buddy, but the paint was peeling on the old 1 in a big way because of a very poor respray job, and I had grown tired of the mesh look of 80's bikes. Also had 2 blue bikes already.

Thats why I went for the 70's look, its different thats for sure, and the pictures dont do it justice IMHO.

When it gets re-badged the paint areas wont look so "joined" and instead of the usual spray fade I opted for this. Thanks for dropping by, Laz.

Back