Need advice : buying a digital camera

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Time for the old Canon Ixus V3 to retire, 3.2mps and 10fps video... :?

Need a new one, want at least 7mps, but more importantly want decent video quality min 640x480 @30fps.

Anybody got any recommendations? Have looked at Canon Ixus 70, Sony Cyber-shot W200 and Casio Exilim EX-S770 - these are the sort of thing I am looking at but am not sure which to get.

Oh and needs to be under £200 (happy to buy off Ebay if necessary - or if you have one I might consider 2nd hand).

I have always had Canon in the past. The more recent ones i hate :twisted: so much i kicked it into touch. And felt a lot better for it. I had a Nikon but again rubbish. These were all in your price range. If i was to go buying again then i'd buy Panasonic or Fuji Beware high picsols don't always mean great pictures. In bad light/conditions it could be a lot worse than a lower camera.

I've been using a Sony DSC-N2 for 9 months

10mp, nice touch screen controls, lots of settings, seems to do what you require for video

Panasonic Lumix TZ3 - wide angle & 10x optical zoom.

I really rate mine , but the software is crap compared to say what you get with a canon (zoombrowser)

Don't get hooked up on the number of Megapixels - anything over 5 or 6 and it becomes an irrelevance.

Ed,

don't get beguiled by the number of PegaMixels necessarily, more isn't always better. It more depends on the sensor's capabilities.

I have a 7mp Ixus for carrying about all the time, just in case, and it's pretty good. Gets noisy in low light as with more pegamixels and small sensors does.

You can get better quality with the power shots but they aren't as pretty or small.

Don't know anything about video I'm afraid.

Can't really go wrong with either canon or nikon i think. But the others make good compacts too and it seems a shame to squeeze out the littler guys in these markets as well as has been done with DSLR's.

the only thing to bare in mind with fuji cameras is they use their own XD format cards. No biggy just a minor annoyance.

Xd picture cards are cheap as chips if you shop round so makes it no big setback and with a decent card reader you got it covered anyway if dont want to use the usb camera to pc connection

Back