DBR Apex ti bottle boss woes

ooo something similar but less bulky

when I was fitting sleeper cabs to trucks we had a gun that inserted a metal sleeve then the gun withdrew the thread the sleeve was on and so tightened it inside the body and crimped it inside the body..this was then super tight and you could use whatever was the right size bolt

if I figure out what it was called I will revisit the thread..it would have been ideal for this

weeman_mtb":3kmaiqsj said:
Ah you had to ask that didn't you :D .
I did, but glad for doing so as your answer and pic have made everything clear, just need to get the bolts out now.

As you can't unscrew the bolt, and the whole insert is rotating and can't be locked in any way that I can think of, then I would suggest that you grind the head off the bolt (with a windy grinder or a Dremel) flush with the head of the rivnut insert and then file the remainder down flush with the frame tube and punch it through.

If the vent holes at the BB or head tube are too small for the remainder of the bolt/insert to pass through then inject a very small amount of expanding foam into the end of the tube and let the loose parts slide along the tube and stick to it.

No more loose parts and nothing that's in any way injurious to the frame.

Then buy or borrow a rivnut setting tool and fit new inserts.
That's what I'd do anyway...... ;)

I have sometimes been able to get bolts out of loose nutserts by fitting a small flat-bladed screwdriver between the frame and the flange of the nutsert, and twisting the screwdriver slightly. This has the effect of pulling the underside of the nutsert (see, I keep calling it that when you all say rivnut, I shoud go with popular opinion!!) which can stop it from spinning enough to get the bolt free.

ozpete":1a0fiofi said:
I have sometimes been able to get bolts out of loose nutserts by fitting a small flat-bladed screwdriver between the frame and the flange of the nutsert, and twisting the screwdriver slightly. This has the effect of pulling the underside of the nutsert (see, I keep calling it that when you all say rivnut, I shoud go with popular opinion!!) which can stop it from spinning enough to get the bolt free.

A Stanley knife blade tapped in between the frame and insert sometimes works too.

Rob Atkin":1upjpk59 said:
I can't believe no-one has posted this link:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... e-fittings

Works brilliantly - did it myself. Make sure the thread left in the frame is nice and clean before you thread the QR into it though.

Job done!!

Yes, but this all relies on those five words "once the bolt is removed". If the bolt is so seized as to not be removable then you can't try and re-set the rivnut and the only choice you have left is to cut it out..

ozpete":2tlutcvw said:
Done this as well. Also try and angle the allen key to the same side as the screwdriver to put extra pressure on the rivnut. Do it in one quick motion rather than slowly trying to undo it.

Back