Cabinet of curiosities

In my wilder fantasising moments I'd always fancied having a go.

But just imagine front wheel blow-out at 100k on a concrete track. :twisted:

Great spectacle though, remember seeing it at Leicester at the '82 World Champs.

Elev12k":2hxsc55b said:
That Presto Rapido was offered through a major classified site a couple months ago. The current owner probably there spotted it and bought it back (it was his old bike).
I just ran into this so better laten then never I guess. The seafoam green Rapido is mine and I wrote the quoted description.

I've never spotted it on any site and have not bought it back, as suggested by "Elev12k". It was exactly as I said: I ran into the guy who owned it after my old roommate sold it to him back in 1999. I bought the Rapido in 1996 and specifically asked for an all seamfoam finish (original offering was seafoam green with purple upper half). Tubing is Columbus Gara. It was build up with Ultegra 8sp and this is exactly how I got it back last year. I stripped it and build it up with Campa parts as seen in the photo.

Hi Ruimteaapje,

Thanks for clearing things up :) I think it was a misunderstanding about two nearly identical Prestos. I think we met at the Lohman shop a while ago. Maybe I even brought up the same. I were the guy with the RIH in the boot.

Ah, the Saab :cool: Nice too see you here!

BTW, have you seen the 650c 46 cm RIH my girl will use at Sloten this season? Not period correct but build to be used!

And she's building up a baby-blue 47 cm Zieleman at the moment :)

249210_2063839481424_1407844186_2411883_4916247_n.jpg

It could be I spotted that tiny wheel RIH advertised on a major classified site a half year ago, but it could also be I am totally wrong on that. I sometimes am as history taught us :LOL: Lovely bike. A RIH track bike I owned had nearly the same colours, but I think the red was darker. Mine had gussets in front triangle. I've been told it was an ex-Dutch national team bike. I sold it to someone from Australia who was very happy with it ...and still is I think.

47cm Zieleman - that must be a rare gem in that size.

That's very well possible, the guy who sold it to us advertised it on the internet and had it up for sale in the Pristine shop in Amsterdam. In the end it was simply to small for those who wanted to buy but for Corine it's a perfect fit as you can see. It came with full Miche track group but we exchanged the cranks and seatpost for Campagnolo Pista (headset will soon follow).

Ex KNWU indeed! They had two national selections: a Dutch track selection (orange/white/blue) and an AMEV-sponsored selection (red/white/blue) or at least that's what Van der Kaaij told us. He also recalled that this particular bike was not build for a junior but for one of two twin sisters. I haven't been able to identify them (someone suggested Babs and Larissa Bijlsma but they were not twins and I have not been able to find any info on their height).

Anyway, time for some RIH nostalgia from those days...

78491-800-530.jpg

Elev12k":4aqaba7r said:
47cm Zieleman - that must be a rare gem in that size.

But the original red/white/blue paintwork is so bad (especially around the bracket area and the read stays) that a respray is the only option. It's at the painter at this moment. Baby-blue and Corine made some lovely Zieleman decals on her computer. We'll complete it with the original head badge (the metal plate with "Ko Zieleman" in a red banner and "Amsterdam" in a blue banner on white and a drawing of a cyclist in between. No clue about its age or what tubes were used.

P1090678.jpg

Badge: the 2nd variation under this link

A Zieleman is not the easiest bike to date: each is a one off. From what your pic unveils I would give it circa 1985. There is a braze on for front mech, but the crown does look quite flat to me.

Back