Salsa Al La Carte - Jelly Bean - update 14/04/2013

John":3clvzkas said:
Really top work, kudos.

Holy cow! Thanks Guv'nor. Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, really means a lot and makes the nagging about time in the garage and the stream of parcels worth it (anyone else's postie gone and got his own key for the electric meter box so he doesn't have to cart stuff back to the post office?!) :D

GoldenEraMTB":3clvzkas said:
sweet :cool:

really deserves better than SRT 600, though. If grip shift, why not xray 800? (I know you stated it is what you had lying around; do you plan on upgrading that?)

Golden, thanks :cool: – to be honest I am a Gripshift luddite – the pictures in the mag show gripshifts so I bought a set of the very first ones – Greg Herbold style with the foam grip tape – once fitted these were wrong so I looked again at the pic and realised that they were the style with a more pronounced profile to the business end and with cable barrels. Asking around identified them as srt500s, there are some of these in decent nick on ebay, but as I had 600s already and the main difference visibly is the lettering I figured I’d stick with these for now and maybe go for 500’s if I get on with them, 800s would be a bit new maybe. It’s a rider so if they don’t play nice then xc pro or XT thumbies will replace them :D

mamadirt":3clvzkas said:
Fantastic! Love the coloured brake outer too :cool:

PSA for those yet to discover - BMX linear brake cable (which is available in a myriad of colours :p ) can be used as gear outer too as it's linear not spiral wound like traditional brake outer (thicker than modern gear outer but use brake ferrules and you'll be fine).

Thanks! I spent a while thinking about the cables – the team bikes had red brake outers – I thought green paid homage to this styling touch. It’s Clarkes cable, forgotten how nice that stuff is. Thanks for the BMX cable tip, I’ll give that a try for sure.

captaincosmic":3clvzkas said:
sweet ride :D

get some black cable outers and ditch the gripshift tho :shock:

See above! Watch this space for how compatible Gripshift and me are!!

........ :shock: ....A legendary bike, and a perfect build....sensational.. :cool:

Superb build... :cool:

Couple of pics of JMC Salsa'd up -

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

Back