Downs link, or, four go mad on bicycles

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Had a great ride on Sunday 24/7/2011. We did the southern end of the Downs Link, a disused railway. We took the train from Worthing, ( we live there) to Christs Hospital, (Via Barnham). At the station we were told that as a group of more than three, we could get a group ticket, two people would go free! :D Result.

The 10:30 train got us there for 11:30.

Downs link info PDF here
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... ofncs3HGWQ

Our route here....

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/337820

It took, with five pubs and the all important picnic, nine hours, though only three were spent in the saddle :oops:

Start.jpg

At the start

Most were riding modern, some very much so.

Voodoo.jpg

BaxCastle.jpg

First pub stop, Bax Castle, 11 mins into the ride!

SouthwaterCyles.jpg

One of the modern bikes started to shed its rear cassette. Southwater Cycles were open, and fixed it on the spot. Thanks guys.

Drink.jpg

The modern contingent at the pub in Partridge Green. It is owned by the Dark Star brewery, and is worth stopping for.

Picnic.jpg

The all important picnic

spot.jpg

Picnic spot.....

Wee.jpg

Easy going

Permanentway.jpg

The permanent way

Cows.jpg

One of these cows got stuck in the river due to the steep sides. It took some while to find someone who knew the farmer. Really put us back :roll:

Moody.jpg

Moody skies as we crossed the river on the old road bridge at Shoreham, leaving the Red Lion.

All that was left was a trip through the airport, and a three mile slog into a head wind to reach the final pub. the Seldon Arms.

D

That's my neck of the woods that is (Horsham bit), I did a few miles as part of my loop on Sunday morning, lovely day for it!

dyna-ti":3dvg2jkk said:
I looked but i can only see 3 :?

;)

Bikes in first pic, pic at first pub, pic at second pub (mine hiding in the background).

Guess i didn't take a pic of myself ;)

D

Piperdave":2js55qfr said:
Bikes in first pic, pic at first pub, pic at second pub (mine hiding in the background).
D
Always get yourself in the pic,take turns ;)

Looks like a nice easy jaunt. :cool: How long was it and how long did it take you :?
Really nice countryside,no hills i can see but thats sometimes for the best :oops: :LOL:

dyna-ti":3252g0gg said:
Piperdave":3252g0gg said:
D
Always get yourself in the pic,take turns ;)

Looks like a nice easy jaunt. :cool: How long was it and how long did it take you :?
Really nice countryside,no hills i can see but thats sometimes for the best :oops: :LOL:

It took, with five pubs and the all important picnic, nine hours, though only three were spent in the saddle :oops:

Looks fantastic, all I managed on sunday was 30 mile on the road bike in teh afternoon. For a ride like that it just needs Lashings and lashings of ginger beer,

Piperdave":lac0vqr5 said:

:shock:
You could join us at mcretro.You have the correct qualifications :LOL: :LOL:

Piperdave":hkpeugrr said:
I even play bagpipes :twisted:

Do you have one of those special microphones ? you know,you put it next to a set of bagpipes and real music comes out the speaker :LOL:

Back