Head Doctor / Expansion Plug / Compression Plug / etc

Yes, I was wondering about the grease thing after reading conflicting info :?

Even the hope instructions don't mention it ... :?

If no one had said anything I would have anti seized all the internal stuff and the bolt leaving the outer diameter and the fork bore dry. Not so sure now, I will probably still stick with my gut feeling unless a good argument or further evidence / experience presents itself ?

WD :D

Info is indeed conflicting but when I got mine I greased it lightly on all the threads and a little on the outside to aid insertion. Going to fit another this coming week and will do the same as it appears to have worked so far.

So it’s clear :

DSC06515.jpg

I have greased the thread on the bottom taper nut (1st from left), the recess in the top taper nut for the bolt head (3rd from left) and the bolt thread (4th from left).

I haven’t greased the outer diameter as that has to grip the steerer and I didn’t grease the internal tapers – if the bottom one turns and doesn’t grip the collet the thing will be a pain to tighten ?

Yep you have got the right idea
Although i dont grease mine, those would be the bits i would, if i did.
I normally drop mine in the top, check its still quite snug then push it down further (i squash the outer sheath together so it goes down further but stays snug once you let go, a lil fiddly but simple enough)

I use them over Star Fangled nuts now

Greased up as above, it fitted and tightened up perfectly :D It will be on the next Airborne update :D

Thanks for your input / help guys :cool:

Back