Shimano nexus 4 speed.

skelley2

Devout Dirtbag
wanted a shimano nexus 4 speed and fittings.

only the 3 speed is available at the minute and need one with a smaller oln than the 7 speeds etc

4 speed was AFAIK the same OLN as 7-speed.

There may have been some with smaller OLN in the mid-90s but they were very short-lived indeed. Even in Denmark, which is world capital of all things Nexus, I've never seen one.

Good luck with that particular unicorn!

I've one on my gf's bike which isnt that much bigger than a three speed and without the brake it fits a 120mm dropout.

I can live in hope, the 4 speed is just perfect for city riding.

skelley2":14ib03sr said:
without the brake it fits a 120mm dropout.

I suppose that could work. The spacer nut holding the roller brake on is approx 1 cm wide. There would be some wheel dish though and it would be leaving the NDS bearing more exposed than it is really supposed to be,

But in that case, you could use a 7 speed hub.

I'm just checking OLD bits for the various hubs here.

shimano nexus inter 3 without roller brake 3 speed = 120mm

shimano nexus inter 7 without roller brake 7 speed = 127mm.

I have just checked drop outs on frame its 120mm, was worried it was 110mm as old frame.

so is a 7 speed possible?

Nexus non-coaster hubs without roller brake would usually include a plastic cover for the roller-brake splines and a locknut to cover it.

I'll measure one - I have to do a tyre change on a Nexus 7 bike today.

OK just measured it.

The black dustcap is held on by an approx 1cm wide nut. Underneath that is the silver locknut. OLN not including the dustcap nut is 121mm.

Coldsetting Nexus is IMHO a bad idea. You would be better removing one of the spacer nuts (providing rear stay clearance is not an issue)

Axles are very sensitive to uneven loads, which is why Shimano use their special non-turn washers. Most common cause of premature Nexus gear failure is badly-aligned dropouts on poorly manufactured frames which cause axle to deform over time.

bought a nexus inter 7, just put it into rear drop outs, couple of mill bigger than 120mm but nothing to worry about.

the 7 speed looks huge tho compared to the little 4 speed lol

Back