ID a GT please

ozpete":3h89nov2 said:
Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but JamesM, now you have me curious to what I have. Discounting the colour scheme, which we know varies from market to market, this one has ovalised TT at the head tube, and ovalised at the seat tube / BB join. 68mm shell, vert dropouts, same seat clamp and cable routing as the yellow frame. Forks are 1 1/8" with normal dropouts, and all of the dropouts have a threaded rack mount eye. Thanks,
Pete

:? I think you have an australian one and I don't know about them. I'm just going on the frames I have and have seen over the years and the catalogues in the archive section. To me your frame sounds like a '92 timberline except for the vertical dropouts. Or a '91 Avalanche except for the 68mm BB shell and seatpost clamp. As I said though maybe they are different in the austrailian bikes. An easy way to tell the difference between those two frames (assuming it doesnt have a really really thick coat of paint) is by giving the down tube a little flick about half way along its length. If it goes tingggggggg it's an Avalanche (Tange Prestige) if it goes tonk it's a Timberline (Tange plain guage). On the Timberline the seat tube will ovalise (like the tube has been squashed a bit) at the BB. On the Avalanche it will also ovalise but have a distinct step change in diameter (a bulge).

nevadasmith":xz8hpqud said:
I reckon this yellow frame is 1991 or earlier. Reason for the 1991 or earlier is the internal cable routing on the top tube.

I know I rambled on a bit but did you read any of my posts :LOL:

JamesM":22vi67ig said:
nevadasmith":22vi67ig said:
I reckon this yellow frame is 1991 or earlier. Reason for the 1991 or earlier is the internal cable routing on the top tube.

I know I rambled on a bit but did you read any of my posts :LOL:

:oops: sorry!

Blimey, quite a discussion since I went to bed :LOL:

I've measured it in inches and it is as follows (centre to centre)

Seat tube 14.5 (17 to the top)
Down tube 24
Top tube 20.5

The BB is indeed a 68mm and the seat tube is ovalised where it meets the BB and the top tube where it meets the head tube.

It weighs 3.3kg (7lb 3oz)

Here are a couple of pictures of the bosses.

Boss2.jpg

Boss1.jpg

I'm convinced it is the original paint, as even to over spray inside the tubes shows no sign of an alternative colour.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what it is, but I'm curious now it's caused so much discussion :D

As others have mentioned, those canti bosses don't look original. That coupled with what looks like a very slightly uneven surface where the a set of U-brake bosses would've been suggests a modification at some point.

I had a very similar mod done to a 1992 Bravado frame back in 1993.

Anyway, the frame details such as the internal top tube cable routing, the double eyelets on the dropouts, the integrated seat-clamp and the curved seat post hole, point to a lower end GT from 1991 or 1992.
Higher end 92 bikes would've had the 'groove tube' and no rack mounts etc.

As far as I know, none of the 93 bikes would've had any internal cable routing, and wouldn't have had a U-brake.

So based on the frame details, I reckon it's an either a 91 Timberline or a 92 Timberline or Outpost.
The frame weight also ties in with this too.

As far as a respray is concerned, a frame modification would have also most likely meant a respray at the same time. If the frame was properly stripped then there would be no evidence of overspray from the original colour anywhere inside the tubes.

Have a look at the GT catalogues in the archive for some comparisons: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=10499

OK, thanks.

Looking again, I think your right about it originaly having a U brake, as the hole under the top tube where the cable comes out is too small to have a cable outer go in it.

Does anyone have a trick to solve this? I need some sort of angled insert adapter thing-a-me-bob.

If you run V's then you could maybe try stuffing a bit of cable outer in that hole untill it won't go any further then attach the other end to the noodle/brake. Connect it all up and give the brake lever a bit of stick (more than your daughter could manage) which would pull the cable in a bit more, then re-adjust.

Looking through the archive, and other GT threads I'm pretty sure it is indeed a 1992 frame. Possibly a timberline, but I think I'll decal it a Tequesta so it can match dad's :LOL:

Looking at this picture from an old thread the smaller frames don't have bottle mounts on the seat tube.

FSR-Si":2wt163oi said:
Super cool long lasting bike you got there, My brother is testament to this as he has owned the same bike from 92. Still has the original cables, chain, tyres, seat, everything. Proper little work horse, and used daily....

DSC00543.jpg

Thanks for the offers of parts in this and my other thread. I'll gather them all together and sort some PM's

Anyone know where to get the decals shown above? I understand Gil-M doesn't have this one.

AR-CoolC":3bg33fhx said:
OK, thanks.

Looking again, I think your right about it originaly having a U brake, as the hole under the top tube where the cable comes out is too small to have a cable outer go in it.

Does anyone have a trick to solve this? I need some sort of angled insert adapter thing-a-me-bob.

Talk to IDB1, I sold him a 1991 Karakoram which had been converted in a similar way - he has figured out a way round it I believe.

Back