1984 Raleigh Corsa - Bought New.

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Hi Guys,

The first Reader's Road bike posted on Retrobike, a few people have pm'd requests to see it. New in 1984 as a present for passing my 2nd year exams at university.

It no longer has the standard fit Shimano 105 groupset, a shop I used had some of these early 600 groups available(in 1985)at an attractive price so the 105 was sold to a friend.

Specification is as follows, 22.5" frame, Reynolds 501 throughout-quite a lively tubeset. Prugnat short point lugs and chromed Gipiemme dropouts, Shimano 600 brakeset, chainset, mechs, gearlevers, hubs, headset, BB and freewheel. Cinelli 64/42 Giro D'Italia bar with white Benotto ribbon and Cinelli chrome endplugs, Cinelli 1a stem. SR pedals, Christophe clips, Binda straps, Cinelli strap buttons. Original Weinmann rims, original SR seatpin, and a red suede(faded in 20+ years!)Rolls saddle(a favourite).

The bike in this specification was built by Steve Smith; a mechanic working at Harry Perry Cycles - Steve is mentioned in the book"Wide Eyed and Legless"about the ANC Halfords squad in the 1987 TdF by Jeff Connor. Steve worked on the 1987 Tour de France with Steve Snowling, the famous pro cycling mechanic.

This type of Lightweight Unit bike(excepting the frames of the SBDU)is at the pinnacle of Raleigh's output in the 1980s. My Corsa is in great condition due to a low mileage(2000mi), as I was lucky enough the year after graduating to be able to order a Raleigh SBDU frame-that's another story though.

The colour: often referred to as Pearl White, it's called"Oyster".

Image a bit big, not sure how to reduce - perhaps someone could pm me the"how to".

Hope you like it, Roadking.

Attachments

• CorsaTwo.JPG
    CorsaTwo.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 6,353
Appreciated, I've never seen another.

If I get enough interest in the Corsa I might show a few more of my collection.

Roadking.

That is very nice although you were not kidding when you said the saddle was faded! :shock:
Seriously though a stunning bike in a great colour scheme.

I just wanted to look at this again, it is early and I couldn't be bothered to go out to the garage!

Just gone for a wheel rebuild with double butted stainless.

Lovely, and I've had it soooo long.

Scary.

Roadking.

P.S still looking for a Shimano 600 seatpost, front skewer (mislaid) and pedals - though the upgrade is 20 + years overdue!

Back