Pedal change to Flats

theredchili

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Anyone else changed back from Spd's to Flats ?

Just made the change after 20 years of spud's , think it may take a while to get used to it !

Most important thing I have learnt is that , narrow , large gripped Spd shoes are rubbish on flat spiky pedals !

i'm using flat pedals on my fully. made the switch because my "crew" is raving about them and its safer on technical descents. would never give up riding spds on my xc hardtail or rodie though. and yes, it takes time getting used to.

Agreed , my retros are staying with spuds , went out again on my full sus last night with flatter shoes , much better, though another thing I've noticed with flat pedals is they are more probe to hit rocks/ roots etc , must be because they are bigger !

I to have gone back to flats on my full sus after using spd's. I seem to ride faster and smoother on more technical trails and know I can dab my foot quicker if needed. Getting used to them again took a few rides but with the right flat shoes and good pedals helps.

Still use spd's on my retro xc bike though but may try flats as my left knee is not what it used to be. :roll:

whats important is that shoes and technique are key.
many companies are entering the (flat pedal shoe) market right now. teva just did. sombiro will do next year. the established brands are 5.10, 661 filter, vans and the other skater brands. i'm using old basketball shoes but switched to adidas berm recently.
reg. technique:
fabians video is worth a look
http://vimeo.com/25176773

I've switched between SPuD's and flats for the last 17/18 years. Horses for courses and all that.

I prefer the look of SPuD's though, and the sound.

Shoes wise I'm using Shimano DX flats (black ones) and pedals wise I've got some Superstar components Nano.

Grip wise is fantastic but the grub screws give the back of your calf some nice deep cuts if you get it wrong :roll: :LOL:

Back