My Dave Russell 653 - Retro/modern

Well after riding the bike a bit i've made a few changes and ignored all advice!
The bike now has a Brown Suede San marco Rolls saddle, brown Tressorex fabric tape (2 rolls on each side), a 1" Kelly threadless stem and Deda shallow bars.
I'm going to get the forks converted to 1" threadless and install a Record Headest instead of the gold chris king..
I did a 60 mile club run on DR last week and it was fantastic (although i had an 11-23 on the back!)
16072011193.jpg

Looks good: reasonably cohesive in appearence.

I quite like the idea of keeping an old frame going with new kit, particularly when someones time and effort has gone into crafting it.

In some ways it'll be easier to keep it on the road without being too presious about it.

653 is still a great material for a frame, i'm sure it'll do you for many years.

oldmuthariley":2wwd1gds said:
I'm going to get the forks converted to 1" threadless and install a Record Headest instead of the gold chris king..

That's a step too far and a shame to have to get those forks re-sprayed again.

Mark.

What quill stem is that, and is it for an oversized bar? - sorry noticed - Cinelli 1R. Is it oversized?

in the original pictures the stem is a Cinelli 1R for 26.4 bars

in the most recent pictures it's a 1"Kelly Threadless for 26.0 bars - for an Aheadset threadless steerer (i've got a converter on it).

daccordimark":3rsafo54 said:
oldmuthariley":3rsafo54 said:

That's a step too far and a shame to have to get those forks re-sprayed again.

Mark.

I wonder why you say that? Although a quill looks more traditional i prefer the look and function of a threadless stem. The paint, although looks good from distance, isn't that great. A certain company "restored" it for me but it's a pretty sloppy job - tubes not sanded properly, chips if you sneeze on it so down the line it the whole frame and forks will be painted again , so at that time i'll get the fork column changed.

I'm not planning on selling it and it will be ridden properly not just looked at - that's my excuse anyway!
cheers :cool:

That's a fantastic job I also have a dave Russell built from 653 which I have painted in near enough the same shade of red as yours we obviously have the same good taste lol. I'm at the stage of acquiring my parts but I haven't made my mind up what yet. I will put up some pics as I go.

I've taken off all the carbon Record (to be put on a more modern frame in the future) and am putting on a mix of campagnolo silver group.

So far it's got a chorus aero post, record/open pro wheels, centaur FD, record RD, needs a BB to put on the chorus cranks and some new cables.

Back