Kona Explosif - Columbus Team Edition - Flame Paint Job

moops

Retro Newbie
I apologize for my first post being a "for sale"

I see the majority of the members are from the UK/abroad, but in the slight chance there are North America members too I'm posting this here.

I'm cleaning house to make room for a new cyclocross bike...

I have a Kona Explosif (I don't exactly recall the year).
Photos at: ...apparently I cannot post a link to flickr (I do not have enough posts). If you are interested I can email or PM the link to you.

The story behind it is that it was a remnant from the year that Columbus provided the sponsorship of the Kona Pro Team. This is one of the Explosif they painted up. If anyone recalls, there was a fair amount of controversy that year because the Pro Team refused to ride steel so Kona also painted their Hei Hei the same way and added the Columbus sticker. Columbus eventually discovered this and the Hei Hei's were removed from service and the team was forced to ride the Explosif (steel).

In the photo the bike has a Marzocchi Z2 Bomber on it. Since I replaced this with the Kona P2 to go totally rigid. I still have the shock too so this would be included.

Here's the problem...I have no idea what it's worth. I'm thinking this frame would be a great SS. I currently use it as a road trainer with slicks.

I'm thinking it's probably worth $500.00-$600.00

Any way if there is any interest or if you want to correct my valuation please feel free...

Thanks.

BTW, I also have a 1989 Cannondale SR700 (almost completely original) it's a 54CM made February, 06, 1989 (ser # 54020689009) That I am also looking to sell (will post this in the road bike forum)

Attachments

• Kona_Explosif.jpg
    Kona_Explosif.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,503
I haven't seen one like that before. The decal is the 1997 type, and the paint scheme is reminiscent of a 1997 Hot (any special team bikes would no doubt be painted by Velographics, who painted the Hots). Also the Z2 is a 97 model. However the cable routing is in the 1998 style, but the Columbus deal was over by then, so maybe 97 team frames anticipated the 98 design. It looks like a size 17, but we need better pictures really. If you send me more or a link, I may be able to tell you more.

My advice would be to make some more posts on the site, make threads about your bikes in the 'readers bikes' sub-forum and try to sell them once you have full access to the facilities. If you are open to selling to Europe, you will need to know shipping costs. In general, import taxes (at least to the UK) argue in favour of selling the frame separately, rather than sending a complete bike.

Frame

Looks as though the frame could be a custom size possibly? Top tube looks short and steep and the seat tube extension above the TT looks shorter than standard. Certainly no bigger than a 17, poss a 16 or even a custom size in between.
It's a really, really nice frame and will ride like a dream, as Ant advised I would split it after researching the individual parts value, it will net you much more, Oh and welcome to the site! :cool:

Back