Show us your homemade tools

Already posted this but here you go: COOK BROS E2 and F type spider removal tool. If anybody is interested i can send you dwg for you to have it lasered. Its 4mm steel plus 3mm calibrated pins from fabory

Attachments

• cbr2.jpg
    cbr2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,978
Thought of a few others

I use a stubby screwdriver with flipable flat and cross ends . The flat end is used on nipple ends to count turns when I literally screw together a wheel . there is a proper cranked screwdriver in the workshop but I prefer to spin the flat bit in my fingers ; the cross end is useful when your fingers are covered in lube .

There's the classic matchstick for inserting a nipple in a deep rim . I just use the next spoke I'm going to use with the nipple screwed on the wrong way to guide it into place .

Was going to make a wheel stand out of a long fork leg and a dial indicator . But no need and too lazy .

A customer has very kindly made us a power link remover out of a wire cutter . Works brilliantly and saves us ordering one , like we threaten to do every week for the best part of this year :oops:

RE: stands , if you ever need to adjust your gears or check the rear brake etc pretty much any solid surface that sits a few inchs below the bottom edge of your seat can be used to lean against . Push the bars and the rear end of the bike will lift off the ground , the bike will be at a squiff angle but you can hold the grip with one hand and run through the gears , the other hand spins the cranks and makes any adjustments between revolutions .

If need be an old ahead stem can be used to set a crown race . Pop the bolts out and put them in reversed with something thin but sturdy ( a 2p does me well ) in the slot and the clamp will open up enough to ensure a smooth slide down the steerer . I have a crappy atomlab one that's chunky and don't care about deforming slightly .

Headset press from my post above in use :

DSC06421.jpg

Worked a treat :cool:

Crown race tool made from two pieces of plastic plumbing pipe :

DSC06463.jpg

I sleeved the end to help stop it splitting and chamfered it a bit internally :

DSC06466.jpg

So it fits a king race perfectly :

DSC06469.jpg

Also worked a treat :cool:

WD :D

Homemade headset cup remover, helps to have a Dad who's a
retired engineer.

Used it today, works a treat. Cost me a cup of tea.

24205533.jpg

cornholio's RC200":b4x3awya said:
Supratada":b4x3awya said:
cornholio's RC200":b4x3awya said:
mikee":b4x3awya said:
capscrews ?

Nope. Not a bike component. It's one of those "If you don't know you won't get it" things :cool:

Firing pin from a MG-42?

Nearly but not quite. Firing pin from an FN MAG or British designation L7A2. Spot on size for the holes on a crank cap :)

Good call

I think that's a gimmie........(ya tight......)

i used one of my sons plastic spoons (handle end) to remove a tyre the other day.....i washed it afterwards :p

paddlingpool":1lfbv5hw said:
What size copper piping did you use?

1 inch ! Apparently it was an odd bit so you might need something a bit
more metric. I think as long as you can splay the ends out to the right size
it'll be ok.

With the average age of the members and 3 pages of posts, I'm surprised no one's posted a pic of their teenage Emo son yet. :LOL:

Not sure if it falls into the definition of home made tool, but this length of scaffolding and 24mm spanner has loosened BB cups and cassettes that everything else has failed - including holding removal nut in vice and trying to turn the frame or wheel.

For BBs I use it with the first tool in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,504

Latest posts

Back