My aluminium bike I made in 1984 ----Plus restoration

Not sure actualy, with the first generation Dura ace sti the whole bike is about 10 kg not light by todays standard and I am not light by 1991 standard.

Turning off the computer now, its time for the tour telecast to start and I must cheer for Cadel, it will be history in the making.

Awesome!

Ever considered building a small series?

What glue/bonding method did you use?

ph billet":f4l3s9pf said:
Turning off the computer now, its time for the tour telecast to start and I must cheer for Cadel, it will be history in the making.

concrats with Evans mate :LOL:

How the hell did you manage to hand machine those parts way back in 1984?

I've hand built my own car (including many of its components) taught myself milling on my own machine and scratch build model cars as a hobby, but I cannot machine to that standard - even now!

More importantly...lets see the car too! :shock: :D

Just checked out the photo again - it's obviously a Beetle of some form! :cool:

Oh, and bigger bike pics please...that work is awesome!

duffer2":1q0t61c2 said:
How the hell did you manage to hand machine those parts way back in 1984?

We had the technology/skills to build Concorde in the 60's, I'm pretty sure a few bicycle lugs wouldn't have posed too much of a problem to a skilled engineer in the 80's ;)

Oh, and bigger bike pics please...that work is awesome![/quote]

Yes, it is a Beetle show car that gets driven most weekends . I sometimes use the bike in my display as it is in theme with the bug, my beetle has over 4000 hours of custom machine work over the last 10 years and since 2004 has won around 130 car show trophys at VW shows and open street rod shows,all work is done on a manual mill and lathe with NO CNC. the work is also though out the under carridge, Thanks for your interest. to see more go http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3324199/1 ... gen-beetle

Attachments

• bike forum small 2.jpg
    bike forum small 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,416
  • bike forum small1.JPG
    bike forum small1.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,415
Elev12k":1kdiuk11 said:
Awesome!

Ever considered building a small series?

What glue/bonding method did you use?

Fine thread cut and 620 loctite on seat and bottom bracket head tube was line bored and press fit with 620 loctite.

ph billet":1keqqqnl said:

Oh, and bigger bike pics please...that work is awesome!

Yes, it is a Beetle show car that gets driven most weekends . I sometimes use the bike in my display as it is in theme with the bug, my beetle has over 4000 hours of custom machine work over the last 10 years and since 2004 has won around 130 car show trophys at VW shows and open street rod shows,all work is done on a manual mill and lathe with NO CNC. the work is also though out the under carridge, Thanks for your interest. to see more go http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3324199/1 ... gen-beetle[/quote]

Lovely work ph...what are you running in it? I built a Beetle based Porsche RSK Spyder replica around 10 years ago (before I had my lathe and mill). Love it still and has made it to Le Mans three times with no probs. I'm doing modelling stuff now and am hoping to put a 1/8th Porsche RS60 Spyder into production...you may recognize these parts:

8thscaleRS60wheel.jpg

:eek:)

Wow, I would have respect for you crafting your own bike even if it looked like a hack.
But this is one of the best looking bikes I've seen, so I take my hat off for you.

Back