Bottom bracket interchangeability

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
haha long word
any way
i have truvativ ruktion xr bb i believe and im wondering what other bb's will fit the axle?
are modern external bb's the same bearing diameters etc.?
what about a gxp bottom bracket?

or any others?

Reading the info available on the web for a Ruktion chainset a Howitzer BB is the only one you can use.

It has an ISIS/octalink style splined axle and external bearings, most other external BB's have no axle, it's part of the chainset

Pics of your chainset (not in the frame) & BB will help ;)

cyfa2809":3gacs8tf said:
yeah your probably right :(
without taking mine off
here are the same ones

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6358371/
yup

Howitzer is the only BB you can use with those cranks, unless another manufacturer does a Howitzer spec BB, but I don't think anyone else does them apart from Sram/Truvativ (been wrong before so might be worth a quick internet search)

cyfa2809":1slat4kn said:
cheers for the help
this thread seems to echo what you say somewhat
ah well :(
what about the cups though?
i was thinking maybe if the bearings were the same just change the cups? i mean how different are external bb cups? ( i want red ones, or new ones as mine are scruffy)

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-144152.html
I would think that the cups on a Howitzer BB are unique (judging by the design of the rest of the set up being non compatible with anything else) and you are stuck with the same as you already have.

They certainly look much chunkier than any other regular external BB cups I have seen

oh you reckon?
i juat had a look on google at a few and the width varies
would you know what bearings are quite common for external bb's?
providing mine have a common size and the angle contact is similar or whatever it might be possible
the bearing doesnt use the whole depth of those cups by the way

cyfa2809":1yqbcj69 said:
oh you reckon?
i juat had a look on google at a few and the width varies
would you know what bearings are quite common for external bb's?
providing mine have a common size and the angle contact is similar or whatever it might be possible
the bearing doesnt use the whole depth of those cups by the way
Ahh, you should be able to get fresh bearings from your local bearing supplier if you take the old ones to them, most are fairly standard sizes

Didn't realise the bearing doesn't utilise all the space in the cups, not had one of those in bits yet

well like i said they dont use it all, but most of it
im wondering if the bearings are similar to another bb so i can get another for the cups
i think the howitzer bb is mainly based on the axle not the bb?

Back