AHEADSETS, how brilliant they are.

AHEADSETS are better though

OK to somebody who hasn't taken the forks off their bike yet, any sort of HAMMER sounds like overkill (Slang for too much force or effort).

CONVENTIONAL NUT HEADSETS:
284199_238167509539972_100000401736733_770318_2969961_n.jpg

Obviously conventional nut headsets needed, thin plate spanners which many people didn't have at home, or even if they did, they might get confused about the concept of how two large nuts, lock together, IE. Bottom nut and top locking nut.
So when their headset came loose, it went un-noticed, until obviously loose, then until completely knackered (Unless they went to a FRIENDs or bike shop to rectify ~ Formal word describing, to sort out). Hence INCONVENIENT BIN JOB, compromising of your once pristine (In other words, once upon a time, they were immaculate) FORKS and HEADSET, still at least your FRAME doesn't need getting rid of as well, unless in anger at taking your old headset cups out, you demolish your once decent frame, just by loosing your temper momentarily. Could very very easily happen, just like every second in my life, with other peoples lives.

AHEADSETS:
284696_238167679539955_100000401736733_770322_685102_n.jpg

These are far easier to adjust, but since many people don't read instructions, or people may get confused by reading the FITTING instructions by accident (Instead of the SETUP instructions), hence and decide it's too completed to sort out. But of course there will be people you will just have a go, to see if they can sort it out or understand how it works.
CONFUSED PEOPLE!
~ Obviously many persons may NOT realise the stem bolts have to be loosened first, so that the top cap will take up the slack. As persons may tighten the top cap with the stem bolted tight on, hence this will achieve nothing apart from maybe undesirably stripping the threads on the star washer (etc).
~ Other persons may not realise the real purpose of the top cap (Perhaps they think the top cap is just, aesthetic pleasing, like car trim or boot spoiler, not necessary, but nice) believing it is a nice finishing touch in stead of staring down a fork steerer, as I have seen people untighten the aheadset stem, then resting their weight on the stem, obviously they believe the weight of a person is sufficient enough to take up the slack which it isn't.
Crazy confused deluded fools. Still in some peoples minds I can see the reasoning how can the torque of a top cap be greater then the weight of a whole person? I guess some bright mathematicians have a brilliant calculation for this. BEN/FLUFFY CHICKEN, you're a maths teachers worst nightmare for beating them at their own lectures, with cake shares and half a pie, any idea on how to calc this?

Re: AHEADSETS are better though

srands":33l0m6z7 said:

Still in some peoples minds I can see the reasoning how can the torque of a top cap be greater then the weight of a whole person? I guess some bright mathematicians have a brilliant calculation for this. BEN/FLUFFY CHICKEN, you're a maths teachers worst nightmare for beating them at their own lectures, with cake shares and half a pie, any idea on how to calc this?

Do you really want to know?

P = T/(K D)

P = Bolt preload.
T = bolt installation torque in Nm.
K = torque coefficient. (call this 0.15 for lubricated steel on steel).
D = bolt nominal shank diameter (i.e., bolt nominal size).

Or..........
Just nip the preload up enough to remove any play like the rest of us do :roll:

I was joking..

That was a joke. By the way. A paradox to say something to the contary, I'd like to see that....

The torque required is written on the aheadset (If bought in box instructions) possibly even embossed on top or bottom of the top cap. But most people just use a small 5mm allen (So not to overdo on the torque) until sufficiently tight (That's about right, something you would say to yourself).

As a comparison, what I meant is:
~ How to calculate the TORQUE provided/given by the WEIGHT of a person, PRESSING DOWN on the handlebars/aheadset stem, with the stem bolts slacked off.

Obviously the idiots who are incorrectly trying to adjust their aheadsets by just undoing the stem bolts, and resting their weight upon the aheadset stem/handlebars, don't realise by going through these MOTIONS, their AHEADSET STEM is not going to get the ANALOGY to tighten the top cap bolt to take the slack up! An artificial intelligence AHEADSET STEM, what next ELECTRONIC GEAR SHIFTERS and FRONT/REAR MECH powered by BATTERIES CR2025 or CR2032 or PP3. Of course I'm SRAM, SHIMANO or SUNTOUR have such little gems maybe XTR-B (B for batteries).

Latest posts

Back