Evilbay - I'm peed off!!!

bit harsh to leave you bad feedback but people must understand,you are paying for postage AND packing,this includes taking it to the post office and with petrol at £1 a litre it costs me £3 to get to my nearest post office and back ( 4ltr car),as said,you agreed to he charge when you bought the item and it doesnt sound high for a pair of shoes to me..

ajm":rpu7whb4 said:
OK, so in this case the charge was definitely excessive, and that's annoying. It's worth remembering though that the charge is for post AND packaging. Which isn't necessarily cheap or free, if it's done right...

I've had items from ebay with both extremes of charging - sometimes I've felt bad at the amount people have charged when I see what it actually cost them to send...

Cheers,

AJ

For the sake of balance AJ's got a point there - I did buy something from US EBay, the guy quoted a postage prie that I accepted but when I got the stuff it had cost him more to post than I had paid him including the item! I got back in touch and his response as "well, my mistake, serves me right for not checking it out"! So I guess it does work both ways although that's a bit of cold comfort for Jon at the moment

even if you do check out prices to start with it can backfire, i got a quote from the post office to send a bike partially stripped in a bike box, quote from the post office was £15, sorted.

When i went to post it off i was told it was too big by 1 1/2". so i had to go to a courier which cost an extra £10.

needles to say i called the bloke at the post office a moron.

i just bought a set of tires off feebay, £4.99 + £11.99 postage? im a bit unsure about the postage but if you agree to but you agree to buy and thats it! if it seems unreasonable it probably is but i take it like im getting a set of tires that are costing me £17.00 and thats it. if you want something you want it and you have to agree to the terms. the seller will try to make a price look good by charging £10.00 BIN for a wheel with £11.00 postage. thats just what they do.

Don't think ebay like the High P&P that some are putting on there BIN items either, they have announced they are trying to clamp down on it but I can't see how really :?

see below ➡️

***Clamping Down on Unfair Postage & Packaging Charges: First Phase Now Live***

20 December, 2007 | 10:51AM GMT

We announced a couple of weeks ago that we would be significantly reducing the visibility of listings from sellers with very low Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) for postage & packaging.

We are pleased to announce that this change is now live. From now on, all listings from sellers with a DSR for postage and packaging of 3.9 or lower will be displayed at the bottom of search results, below listings from all other sellers.

This affects a tiny minority - roughly 0.5% - of all sellers on the site. All other sellers will be unaffected by this change.

We are introducing this change as a first step towards curbing excessive postage and packaging charges on the site. These excessive charges deter buyers from continuing to make their purchases on eBay, and harm the success of the vast majority of good sellers on the site.

We encourage all sellers to review their DSRs regularly and to ensure that their postage and packaging is fairly priced.

We plan to make further changes to the display of search results to protect buyers during 2008, including extending the use of Detailed Seller Ratings to other areas of concern for buyers, and we will announce these in due course.

Regards,

The eBay Team

retrobikeguy":2q35876b said:
Don't think ebay like the High P&P that some are putting on there BIN items either, they have announced they are trying to clamp down on it but I can't see how really :?

see below ➡️

***Clamping Down on Unfair Postage & Packaging Charges: First Phase Now Live***

20 December, 2007 | 10:51AM GMT

We announced a couple of weeks ago that we would be significantly reducing the visibility of listings from sellers with very low Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) for postage & packaging.

We are pleased to announce that this change is now live. From now on, all listings from sellers with a DSR for postage and packaging of 3.9 or lower will be displayed at the bottom of search results, below listings from all other sellers.

This affects a tiny minority - roughly 0.5% - of all sellers on the site. All other sellers will be unaffected by this change.

We are introducing this change as a first step towards curbing excessive postage and packaging charges on the site. These excessive charges deter buyers from continuing to make their purchases on eBay, and harm the success of the vast majority of good sellers on the site.

We encourage all sellers to review their DSRs regularly and to ensure that their postage and packaging is fairly priced.

We plan to make further changes to the display of search results to protect buyers during 2008, including extending the use of Detailed Seller Ratings to other areas of concern for buyers, and we will announce these in due course.

Regards,

The eBay Team

While a laudable idea I'm not sure how well it will work in practice.

People approach rating scales in different ways - for example I rarely give the top or bottom of a scale (usually things aren't perfectly good or perfectly bad) so for the eBay DSR I'd be giving 4 at best for P+P which isn't really fair on the seller with 3.9 average or below considered dodgy! I guess I'll have to rethink how I score but what of others with a similar approach who don't read the above message from eBay?

retrobikeguy":24spji59 said:

they are only clamping down on this because it is hitting their profits, no fees are paid on p+p costs,

Ok, so yes I accepted the guys charges when I hit BIN. And yes, I agree its P&P, but cr*p packaging and postage of £2.92 is harsh.

But what got me was his **Avoid** feedback. No need.

Whenever the wife and I sell stuff we try and be as accurate as poss, and that sometime involves nipping to the Post Office to check weight/size.

Maybe not everyone is like us :roll:

Russell":1e61ym67 said:
When you hit the buy it now button, you knew that he was going to charge you £6.75 postage so by BIN'ing it, you agreed to pay his charges. I do see your point, but its not as if he hid the charge from you.

Generally people don't know what it costs to post stuff, so they guess. He guessed at £6.75, and you came along, quite happy to agree to that cost, and hit the BIN button.

It always pays to query high shipping charges before buying something on e-bay, but then if the price is so good that you don't want to miss out by procrastinating then surely in your mind, you've already justified the £24 for the shoes anyway?

Leaving you poor feedback is harsh though. With the new e-bay system, you can give him a bad rating for his shipping costs, which will affect the way that future stuff he sells is listed.

Agree entirely. The charge was clear, and you chose to buy at the BIN + Shipping. There's no case for him to answer...though leaving the negative feedback sucks. If you don't like the shipping charge, don't buy. When you hit BIN you'd already decided that the BIN + Shipping = a deal you were prepared to enter in to. If this is a gripe about people overcharging fair enough, but you made the call, and the seller made a profit - intentionally or not - and whether intentional or not doesn't really matter as the price was clear.

Back