2002 Santa Cruz Super 8

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've always been drawn to downhill bikes. There's just something about the over-the-top-ness that looks impressive to me. I've had a few DH bikes over the last decade or so but always sold them on as they really don't suit my riding style.

However, scouring the web as you do I saw a this Super 8 for sale. Reasonable price but lots that needed done to it. Had a price in mind that I could go to with it, so dropped the guy an email and he told me the price he'd been offered from it from someone else. This was £80 less than I had in mind, so offered to match it and pick it up within a few days. Job done :)

Pics from advert:

adpic.jpg

This is nothing short of a 'proper' downhill bike. The Marzocchi Monster T forks are banana's! Seems to ride ok, but need to sell a few parts from it and tidy it up a bit. So the bike's now stripped and some parts either sold or up for sale.

Started on the forks first:

As they were -

45693f0a.jpg

Stickers off -

d3081e07.jpg

Paint is now stripped from the lowers and I've begun hand polishing them -

IMG_0619.jpg

Ordered some new seals from CRC so just need to pic up some oil and then can get them back together again. Was tempted to sell them and fit some Boxxers, but we'll see. Nice to restore these forks and get them back to their former glory anyway.

Frame will also be stripped and I think I'll be repainting the front triangle Red and the swingarm White.

To be continued....

very nice machines these, when you strip the rear swing arm have a look for cracks on the underside of the bridge between each side of the swing arm, depending what year they were some of them suffered from the constant abuse of downhilling.

that said i think these are extremely underated frames, a friend of mine who lives in the Alps says they are one of the best ever downhill bikes and having ridden one before (in the alps) i would agree with him. the handling if memory serves was spot on.

look forward to seeing it done :cool:

Oh it's a weapon! I read that the forks weigh 11lbs, which I'd easily believe! Got a Hope front wheel and a Santa Cruz rear wheel on this bike. Rear hub has 165mm spacing and I think is 12mm (could be 15?). Just bought some Hone cranks for it too. All should be good for giggles!

The rear brake that came on it:

1946a6bd.jpg

nice brake that
ti 6 pot?

never used a hope brake myself!

and woooooweeee that swingarm/shock looks like it will work really well

EarlofBarnet":2hfzjzn3 said:
Oh it's a weapon! I read that the forks weigh 11lbs, which I'd easily believe! Got a Hope front wheel and a Santa Cruz rear wheel on this bike. Rear hub has 165mm spacing and I think is 12mm (could be 15?). Just bought some Hone cranks for it too. All should be good for giggles!

The rear brake that came on it:

The more recent Monster T's weigh 11lbs, the original design, as per what you have, weigh less than 9lbs

Seals for the forks landed yesterday, so will get some oil today and hopefully have them back in one piece before the end of the weekend.

Also picked up some gloss White paint for the swingarm. Will get it rubbed down and give it a good check over before repainting it. Will hopefully get that done before the end of the weekend too :)

Back