NOS Disk Drive - What would you do?

What would you do with a NOD Disk Drive?

• Sell it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stash it away for a few more years

• Build it up & use it for a display

• Build it & ride it... Hard!

• Total voters
Build it up & use it for a display. As my disc. :) made: DLOUHÁN WORKS ( Czech team mechanic )

sugino.jpg

sugino1.jpg

sugino2.jpg

Thanks for the considered feedback Guys. I initially thought my opinion wouldn't/couldn't be swayed by anyone else's but i'm finding that maybe it has been!

FluffyChicken":2ne7517t said:
I would build and ride.
It's just 'stuff'...

...Put it another way, what's the point in having it ?

Good point. I originally bought the DD because I loved the idea of sending a rumble through the forrest as I rode 10km/h faster that I usually would... just because I was rolling of a DD!... Then my brain got in the way...

mikee":2ne7517t said:
is the depreciation from building it and riding it enough to retire on
or have a holiday on ,or tax your car , or a good night out , ?

if not then its not like its a major fiscal consideration
lets say its worth £500 in the box or £250 built
your wife will spend that at ikea on a saturday avo , on shit ,you dont need

build it , enjoy it video it and post the sound track

here to help ya lucky bastard

Haha, I like your thinking. And you're right, the missus would just blow the profits on crap anyway!

My_Teenage_Self":2ne7517t said:
Built to be ridden on.

It's worth £0 in the box. Value is irrelevant if you're not selling it now!

Profound... ;)

skinnyboy":2ne7517t said:
you know you want to sell me it for the price of a slab and some new jandals mate....

No. ;)

the_duke":2ne7517t said:
I would sell it.

I have had the same issue (to a smaller extent!) with some NOS Red Ritchey tyres.

I decided that if I rode on them I would halve the value. I realised I could not afford to halve the value as I am poor and they were an asset, so I sold them to someone who could!

I then used the proceeds on other stuff I wouldn't mind using as it would not have been devalued. . . . . . .much :LOL:

But thats just me.

One of the things that's held me back from building the DD has been that it would become instant (or nearly instant) funds if something on my wish-list popped up (Mantis Valkyrie, Titan1/2 Trac, Gen. 1 Attitude (until recently :LOL: ), '89 Alien etc.), allowing me (hopefully) to cover the inevitably horrendous expense of getting it to Aus from wherever it was located. But in reality, the DD is probably as great a prize as any of the other things I covet... :?

Great... Now i'm more confused than ever...

Im guilty of owning a garage queen build. And despite the calls that have been made to give it a good hard thrashing I won't be doing it. There were so few made, fewer still surviving and since my RC500 is nos. I would say none in the same condition. It isn't my place to thrash the hell out of it. And my lack of skills would more than likely result in crash damage any way. For me it is mechanical engineering art. If you are content with looking at the wheel kit in the same way, do so. If not build it and ride it. There are probably others out there still.

JeRkY":5zxyq70e said:
Im guilty of owning a garage queen build. And despite the calls that have been made to give it a good hard thrashing I won't be doing it. There were so few made, fewer still surviving and since my RC500 is nos. I would say none in the same condition. It isn't my place to thrash the hell out of it. And my lack of skills would more than likely result in crash damage any way. For me it is mechanical engineering art. If you are content with looking at the wheel kit in the same way, do so. If not build it and ride it. There are probably others out there still.

I'm an unashamed Garage Queen hoarder. My Vintage MTB's are my 'art collection'. For example, I have a complete, NOS '90 Nishiki Alien ACX that will never be ridden as long as I draw breath.

Therein lies my dilema. I'd happily build the wheel & smack it on one of my GC's but I know i'd struggle to resist the temptation to use it! I could sell it to someone who'd likely use it for the purpose for which it was manufactured but I have a nagging feeling that it'd be one more nail in the coffin of the history of the DD. Maybe it could be a museum piece in 20 more years?... :roll:

too rare to be ridden. :D
Have it in your box and open it once in a while.
Its a perfect start of a period correct NOS build. So wait until the right idea comes along.
Just have it.
Its not like your life depended on it.

If you like it (which I think you do ;) ) build it and ride it.

This is how I'd reason it:

I don't think money is an issue even if you total it its going to cost you what it cost you or what you think you can sell it for - either way its less than what the bloke who's bought a new full sus rig has just lost as he's wheeling it out the door of the shop.

Be happy (smug if you like) that you not only have a DD but that you have one that is 20 years newer than most other peoples.

Enjoy those 20 years giving it some stick. In 20 years time you'll most likely be in your mid 50's the DD will still be rare as most others will have bust. Hang it on the wall then if you want!

There's a lot of sentiment in this hobby which I'm not signed to - they are bikes - ride them - when we are all dead and gone no-one will likely give a toss!

nos

i would have to build it and then not use it put it on an amazing rim that nobody would sniff at and then sit back and enjoy looking at it the living room wall would be a good place

better than the telly

just make sure the rest of the bits are NOS too then it wont devalue to much then

skinnyboy":3kp8g2iw said:
you know you want to sell me it for the price of a slab and some new jandals mate....

:LOL:

To be fair, I've had a coupla these things and whilst they do make you sound like The Tomes out on the Trail, there is an inherent Lack of Trust Factor.. That may be due to me only riding Second Hand ones tho..

Build it, Ride it; but don't use it as a Daily Driver :?:

Back