Bill Grove......

sancho":13z4ukbr said:
Wow!

Are you going to pick it up in person? If so, let me know and I can take you on some of the local trails.

I really wish I had the time (and finances) to hop over again..... but twice a year is just a bit too much sadly ;)
Thanks for the offer though, love the Eastern trails :!: :D

Superb

Those welds are awesome! A simply superb frame and well deserving of a full on retro neon paint job ;)

You must feel very privileged to be the owner of it?

oneschnark":147qdvkk said:
Hi Roy,
can you explain the construction of this frame?
Merci

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Think you know the contruction of the old X-frame's :) ( http://www.purplelizard.com/GIX.htm ) big spine tube for lots of stand-over clearance, 2 small triangles to create a very stiff BB area.... and overall good looks :cool:
This project is in fact a 2011 version of the X ;-)

the differences :

- 29er
- titanium tubing
- Disc brakes
- Rohloff specific rear drop-outs (OEM 1)
- Belt drive (RH rear stay can be taken apart to slit the belt through)
- full internal cable guiding (enter at the headtube and exit at the LH stay)

This whole project started after I asked Rody for a lead to a classic X-frame...... he had none and wanted one himself too :D After a while he offered to make 2 X-frames himself in 29er flavour ..... ofcourse I agreed, but as we all know Rody's crazy workschedules he didn't find the time to start these builds. He contacted Bill to see if he would like to do the build, Bill contacted me and offered to go for a Ti version :shock: ..... just imagine, Bill Grove himself offering to build me a titanium X-frame 29er :!: ........ I couldn't say no. This project started almost 2 years ago as also Bill is a very busy man ..... now we're at this point Bill will do some modifications on the RH rear drop-out and after that Rody will do the paint (gave him free reign again as I love his work/style :D ).So yes, I feel very priviledged to be in this position.
Cheers Roy

Very nice, great bike and interesting update. You can be sure not to see another!

Welds look fantastic

yo-eddy":2dazz4y1 said:
oneschnark":2dazz4y1 said:
Hi Roy,
can you explain the construction of this frame?
Merci

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Think you know the contruction of the old X-frame's :) ( http://www.purplelizard.com/GIX.htm ) big spine tube for lots of stand-over clearance, 2 small triangles to create a very stiff BB area.... and overall good looks :cool:
This project is in fact a 2011 version of the X ;-)

the differences :

- 29er
- titanium tubing
- Disc brakes
- Rohloff specific rear drop-outs (OEM 1)
- Belt drive (RH rear stay can be taken apart to slit the belt through)
- full internal cable guiding (enter at the headtube and exit at the LH stay)

This whole project started after I asked Rody for a lead to a classic X-frame...... he had none and wanted one himself too :D After a while he offered to make 2 X-frames himself in 29er flavour ..... ofcourse I agreed, but as we all know Rody's crazy workschedules he didn't find the time to start these builds. He contacted Bill to see if he would like to do the build, Bill contacted me and offered to go for a Ti version :shock: ..... just imagine, Bill Grove himself offering to build me a titanium X-frame 29er :!: ........ I couldn't say no. This project started almost 2 years ago as also Bill is a very busy man ..... now we're at this point Bill will do some modifications on the RH rear drop-out and after that Rody will do the paint (gave him free reign again as I love his work/style :D ).So yes, I feel very priviledged to be in this position.
Cheers Roy

That's extremely cool :cool:

I saw your bike in person when I was back home over the 4th of July holiday. Pretty impressive.

Bill is restoring my Grove Hard Core and I went to see how it was going.

I might have him build a pair of Rohloff bikes for my wife and me in the next couple years.

Back