Follis Project

JLF

Retro Newbie
My first thread... Ive been needing a new project, and today I picked up this for $85.

Possibly too much? The seller wanted $150.

I believe it to be a 1974 Follis 472.

Its in rough, but complete condition.

Mavic Tubulars, Nevar Cranks, Belleri Stem and Bars, Mafac Competition Brakes and Levers, Simplex Rear / Shimano Alivio Front Derail.

I tore it down to the basics over the course of an hour, just checking things out; as its my first French bicycle ever.

Can someone please tell me how on Earth I am supposed to lower that stem?! I must be overlooking some simple solution.

Anyway, Ive always read that 'real bikers' keep a fixed gear hack around for Winter training, not sure why exactly, but that is my plan for this.

I see someone on ebay is selling vintage Tubulars... I like to keep things somewhat era correct, but we'll see.

Better pictures when I can.

Thank you,

FOLLIS1974A.jpg

After an hour of messing around:

FOLLIS1974C.jpg

photo.jpg

That's a lovely looking bike with some really nice frame details. Love to see better pics and some close ups. $85 too much? Nah! That's only worth about $25 Aussie now isn't it? heheh! ;) b

Your right about it being a 'good deal'... on the exchange rate anyway!

The frame does have some nice detailing, I agree.

Ive never seen a stem like this one before? The top nut is basically a threaded cover that comes off, revealing a long threaded bar underneath. Normally what you loosen to remove the stem, doesnt do any such thing!

I forgot to mention that the rims are 700c. I believe most French bikes that came to the U.S.A. were 27 inch back in the day. So am I to believe this is a 'high end' model? Or perhaps a bike someone brought over personally from Europe?

Prob safe to assume any bike with tubular rims was high(ish) end. You might also get a bit of an idea from checking the derailleur model against the database at disraeligears.co.uk. Otherwise you could try searching this and other forums for Follis owners in the membership and send them a PM. b

Thanks for the heads up! I just checked out that website and its amazing!

My Front Derailuer is a Simplex Prestige Brevete. Not specifically mentioned, but Prestige (plastic) should firmly put it in the 'not so exotic' realm.

:(

Back