Mystery steel frame (early '60's)?

You could be creative and put your name decals on the frame.

Most good sign/graphics shops would be able to make 'em up.

Roadking.

there is a guy on ebay who does name decals, they are cheap too from what i remember... Not my thing but it is available.

From the frame number and the detailing I would say a '73 build. Competant but not special as Roadking says. Interesting 'male' style bottle cage mounts.

Get a decent respray with some period fittings and it will make up into a nice machine. The Cinelli bars look excellent with the early engravings.

roadking":3u1rs0r4 said:
The Nervex lugs are nice, but not super special. The finishing of these-poor shorelines-on this frame leads me to believe this is not a premier league frame.

Hey Roadking, for my own benefit and interest what does this mean? The lugs are not cut very well? Or something else?

Ok.

Nervex lugs were widely used, therefore common and not very special-they are nice lugs though.

However many of the top builders,"the premier league"if you like, modified these lugs and they then became something in an entirely different league.

Sometimes the modification might have only been to reduce what I refer to as the shoreline: where the lug meet the tube, call it the"cliff". Sometimes this was made more subtle, thinner, less of a step.

Sometimes the modifcations were more radical and became the trademark of that particular builder.

The lugs on this frame have just been brazed up; out of the box, onto the tube.

Does that help?

Maybe Old Ned can add something; he's very knowledgeable.

Roadking.

Thanks Roadking, that explains it I think.
I am still learning about frames and little things to look out for quality wise. Most helpful :D

I have a nice late 60s frame where the lugs (long point) are filed down almost parallel with the tubes at the shoreline. It feels like a good frame so am guessing touches like that add to the overall standard of the frame.

Cheers again
Wired99

The paintjob is done :D
Next step is "pinstriping" the lugs...

Attachments

• Afbeelding 017.jpg
    Afbeelding 017.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 658
  • Afbeelding 012.jpg
    Afbeelding 012.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 658
Back