Early 2K scandium Kona Explosif - does anyone have one?

Like this you mean...

P1030958.jpg

...now wearing a nicer Flite saddle and soon to be replaced Manitou SXTi's.

Built this up in 2007, love it... :cool:

Wrong era for this section though, sorry... :oops:

Thats a very nice looking ride.

Does the frame come up any lighter than it's steel equivalent?

Scandium IS an aluminium alloy - it's the stuff the Russians made the warheads on their nukes from - allegedly... ;)

But yes, it is a very nice ride - and it is lighter than my 853 Reynolds framed Explosif, though truth be told I used to use my Kilauea more... :?

I'm looking forward to getting the bouncy front end on and seeing how different it feels...

(Yes, I've edited it because I only just noticed I'd typed 'steel' at the top! :oops: )

Scandium is a rare earth metal and can be alloyed with other metals but:

The main application of scandium by weight is in aluminium-scandium alloys for minor aerospace industry components. These alloys contain between 0.1% and 0.5% of scandium. They were used in the Russian military aircraft, specifically the MiG-21 and MiG-29.[22]

With the trend towards Aluminium as the preffered frame material for modern bikes I would bet the Explosif and subsequent Konas use an Aerospace developed Aluminium-Scandium alloy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandium

Carl.

That looks lovely Stevo :cool: - I prefer that colourway to the white/black 2001 model.

Damn, my Timberline rides so nice but why am I constantly tempted by the shiney shiney :? - this can't end well.

2000 Explosif by Pablo's Feet, on Flickr

Like that, Mama D?

I had that one for 6 months or so in 2001. There was a surplus that year. They didn't sell very well due to the high price and one year warranty offered. Scandium was pretty new, a bit unknown and a lot of folks were sceptical. In reality, they were very nice frames to ride and I don't recall any particular warranty problems/failures. If a 16" will fit you and the price is right, go for it. They ride very nicely - taut but not harsh, and the black n white paint is cool too.

Click on pic for more.

Back