Is it 'socially' acceptable...

All disc, all rim, or a mixture of brakes?

• all the same, its better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a mixture is fine, stop being a posey wally

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i would'nt be bothered if brakes matched or not, i also would'nt bothered if levers were different as long as it stops thats all that matters! what about some trials bikes were they run magura's on the rear and v-brakes on the front? :)

Hope are awesome. I used to run an M4 up front with a mini rear, it was flawless! Ever since then, if I was to ever get a disc it would need to be a Hope. I am not sure I am concerned enough to worry about matching levers to divert from that.

Besides, this is all for a build with some way to go, so there is plenty of time to decide :cool:

I think trials riding is a little out my league :oops:, but a good point though.

Nick C":30kkl19z said:
I was just going to say that the BB7's seem to get good reviews and are lighter than your average hydraulic brakes too.

Properly set up, a BB7 disc brake is excellent although I'd question the "lighter than your average hydraulic disc brake" bit.
Best using Avid Speed Dial levers, so you can fine-tune the feel and balance between front and rear brakes.
As seen on this old P.O.S......the front is 180mm and to be honest 160mm would have been fine.

Attachments

• Kilauea---Nomitsi.jpg
    Kilauea---Nomitsi.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 976
Like Andy I have run BB7 up front and V on the rear with matching levers.
In think the set-up is fine and I wouldn't worry about mixing brakes but (puts style police head on) matching levers are a must. :D

Feeling lots of support for matching levers on here :cool:

Looks like it will be the Avid setup as and when I get that far into the build ;)

Never mind the cosmetics; you are, after all,, running modern forks on an old frame...
Once set up PROPERLY, and bedded in, a BB7 will give you all the braking power you need! ;)

Personally I think it depends on the frame, on my LTS-1 which has no rear disc mount I run a V with a Hope up front, lever looks naff but thats how it is. I'd rather that then the god awful A2Z mount messing up my nice looking rear :oops:

If you have the mounts though I'd end up with discs all round.

Magsy":2loax4j1 said:
Personally I think it depends on the frame, on my LTS-1 which has no rear disc mount I run a V with a Hope up front, lever looks naff but thats how it is. I'd rather that then the god awful A2Z mount messing up my nice looking rear :oops:

If you have the mounts though I'd end up with discs all round.

The frame is a 97 saracen kili comp, and I don't want an adaptor either, the seat stays are nice, one of the reasons I bought it :roll: so I don't want to spoil it with an adaptor. It's 'Team Matchinglevers' that won't let me off mixing levers though ;)

As long as you have your most powerful brake on the front, you'll be fine.

Mixing and matching ain't purdy but if it works for you, why not?

Personally I don't think matching levers is a big issue and I'd run a hydro disc over a cable version any day.

Back