Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Gaz, that is a real beauty, but just one question. Is there any particular reason why the final piece of cable to the the rear mech is white & all other cabling is black? Not a criticism, just an observation :D

Ltd Edn

I picked up a black Limited Edition like that a few months ago for £1 (frame, fork, bars stem, seatpost & stuck cup & cone bb which I still haven't managed to loosen off. Going to try heat next.
Mine has the pierced top tube but ordinary Saracen stem (long but not that long!) 1 inch headset so I thought 1989/90, same era as my 1st ever mtb which was a 1989 Traverse with Mountain LX.
Building it up with whatever I have that I don't really want then it will serve as my son's retro baby seat bike.

Re: Ltd Edn

jimbo-xc":sn6sxeen said:
I picked up a black Limited Edition like that a few months ago for £1 (frame, fork, bars stem, seatpost & stuck cup & cone bb which I still haven't managed to loosen off. Going to try heat next.
Mine has the pierced top tube but ordinary Saracen stem (long but not that long!) 1 inch headset so I thought 1989/90, same era as my 1st ever mtb which was a 1989 Traverse with Mountain LX.
Building it up with whatever I have that I don't really want then it will serve as my son's retro baby seat bike.

Bring it to the next meet!

after early Sept I'm hoping Jon will be coming along on the retro rides (they arrive back from 5 yrs in Oz then) so he can bring it!
He raced juvenile/junior at all the local venues in the early/mid '90's on a 1990 Rockhopper (got stolen), a '91 Rockhopper Comp (got seriously crashed) then a 1992 Pine Mtn.
Will be great to have him back but will I manage to prise him off his modern full sus'?

Just arrived today! Might need some advice folks! I got most of it covered but I'm gonna need some ball bearings.

I can see the headset just needs new bearings and races (advice appreciated) but I'm yet to take a BB apart so I'm not sure what goes on in there!!

I'll start a new thread for it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,393
some updates to my killi racer ex coombers
P1030632.jpg

later xtr/wtb wheels and a middleburn crank ,not exactly period but
look right imo

Just spent all evening reading this whole Saracen thread - great stuff guys. I think I had better see if I can get my old Tufftrax Extreme back from my Father-in-Law who has lent it to a school...

I still have the original flat handlebar somewhere in the garage and only the pedals, tyres and shifters are not original to my knowledge (ignoring the mudguards, X-Lites and rack which I bought in Oxford 1991).

107-0762_IMG.JPG

107-0766_IMG.JPG

Cheers

Finally finished the Rufftrax.....

SaracenRufftrax006-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax015.jpg

SaracenRufftrax013-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax012.jpg

SaracenRufftrax007-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax008-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax005-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax002.jpg

As you can see I upgraded the front & rear mech to Shimano STX & managed to get a couple of origional elite bottle cages from ebay to match the yellow cables. Superstar locking grips & a new Saracen seat finish her off, I hope you guys like what I've done to her. I'll be taking her to work tomorrow to see how she rides :D

Not looking to bad for an entry level Saracen (back in 1996).

Back