Show us your homemade tools

not quite the same , but i use it for bike bits
homemade cnc mill
IMAG0022.jpg

Ha Ha, some serious stuff there.

Over the years I've made a few things to make life a bit easier. The only thing I've got to hand is this:

IMGP2296.jpg

Impromptu pin spanner the perfect size for removing crank caps. Ensures that the old Shimano ones don't get the plating knackered and that alu ones that are stuck in can be removed. Made this when I had a bit of time before being made redundant from my first job about 15 years ago.

Not a patch on the other stuff in this thread but there we go. Fillet brazed steel here! :LOL:

Oh yeah, extra brownie points if you can work out what the pins are made of....

What a great thread! Here goes:

1) Headset press....usual design with a steel rod and a few washers, but I prefer the contact point is inside the cups.
2) Headset crown setter. Made from a black vacuum cleaner tube, part of a photo-graphic enlarger, dissmantled Ritchy Logic bearing race and some epoxy resin. I'd post a picture but it looks like an hardcore fetish sex toy.
3) Cut a V section in side of the thick wooden work-bench and padded it with an old inner-tube. This seats the top-tube or down-tube perfectly when bashing out head-set cups.
4) Bike stand integrated to the work-bench; used some box section steel with old QR axles and old rubber chain tensioner thingy. Adjustable for different wheel bases - best thing I've done to work on the bike at the right height, no wobbling and having all the tools infront of you.
5) Nut & bolt and a few washes to hold the special BB tool when removing Middleburn spiders. Slap it in the vice, turn the crank and voila.
6) Broken precision screw-driver for opening up the teflon inners after cable cutting.
7) Precision oiler made from a football pump attachment.

W.

02gf74":2t00ussf said:
Supratada":2t00ussf said:
02gf74":2t00ussf said:
you sure that is 18 mm and not 1.8 mm?

Yes, the grey foam is cut out so the metal sits in it, innit.

roight ... you had me fulled.

what did you use to cut the stainless steel?

A hacksaw, and I got a guy with a lathe to cut me a slice of roundness. Its mild steel though.

There's a local factory that made odd things that looked like offshore drill bits, and they used to have lots of heavy discs laying scrap. I "got" one and the outer bit cut like mild steel but there was an inner core that blunted all blades and bits, and took a huge gouge out of a grinding wheel too. I suspect adamantium.

Back