NOS Disk Drive - What would you do?

What would you do with a NOD Disk Drive?

• Sell it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stash it away for a few more years

• Build it up & use it for a display

• Build it & ride it... Hard!

• Total voters

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A couple of years ago I picked up a NOS, never assembled Tioga Disk Drive Comp (better than the Pro IMO as they lasted 3000% longer). Also have a NOS M231 HA in 36h & an M900 36h rear hub set aside with it. I love the thing to bits & would love to build it, chuck it on a bike & hit the trails to hear the rumble but I can't bring myself to build it as I know it would halve it's value.

Now, before you rabbit on about 'building it & thrashing it' or that i'm 'not being a true retro rider' or any other crap comments, please stop to consider what you would do in my position before you vote!

diskdrive.jpg

Option 5. Build it up, display it, but use it every now and again when the weather is good. The noise is worth it mate.

Defintely not ride it hard though!

You need to ride it too fully appreciate it, no point having a ferrari in the garage and never try it out!
You can still look after it and use it at the same time

I would build and ride.
It's just 'stuff'. If you're worried about the value then look at other things costing that much you have and how they've rapidly depreciated after use. Say another bike or a car, TV ?

Yes someone might pay more for it after I kept it for a bit, but I'm not into the stash and profit.

I wouldn't say trash it though what's the point, ride it, ride it as you normally would. If it brakes, well then so be it, hopefully it was fun while you used it.
Probably still last longer than the life cycle of a modern TV costing more.

Put it another way, what's the point in having it ?

is the depreciation from building it and riding it enough to retire on
or have a holiday on ,or tax your car , or a good night out , ?

if not then its not like its a major fiscal consideration
lets say its worth £500 in the box or £250 built
your wife will spend that at ikea on a saturday avo , on shit ,you dont need

build it , enjoy it video it and post the sound track

here to help ya lucky bastard

I would sell it.

I have had the same issue (to a smaller extent!) with some NOS Red Ritchey tyres.

I decided that if I rode on them I would halve the value. I realised I could not afford to halve the value as I am poor and they were an asset, so I sold them to someone who could!

I then used the proceeds on other stuff I wouldn't mind using as it would not have been devalued. . . . . . .much :LOL:

But thats just me.

Back