HELP - Drop Bar MTB recommendation & questions

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi,

BITD buying a pair of road Drop Bars seemed a simple matter.....I'm pretty much overwhelmed with the choices out there now, and I'm eager to do DB MTB build for a very specific riding purpose. Some questions I would greatly appreciate answers / comments on:
- Short drop, short reach, but about 44 - 46 cm wide. It's going to be for a largly retro build (mid 90's frame, cantis, 1 1/8 Ahead forks); so something on classic lines is more appropriate. Silver colour preferable, not too flared out and I will not hesitate to put the drill to them for cable routing. Any suggestions?
- Clamp Diameter....is it me or is this just all over the place? Not really keen on OS 31.8mm and ideally would prefer to use some 25.4mm stems I already have; has any one had experience of bodging a similar DB clamp diameter in a 25.4mm stem? Does 25.6mm squeeze in or has anyone been creative with a file and gone to 25.8mm or 26.0mm?
- I'm guessing older single bolt stems are a bit more forgiving than a four or two bolt face clamp style. Some older Profile and Zoom come to mind but does anyhone know other brands that are up to the job?
- Finally, based on experience is it best to forget the whole engineering thing and put some modern readily available OS stuff. I'm guessing a few retrobikers have had to make similar conclusions.

Cheers, W.

I have the same kind of arrangement on my tourer which uses an MTB frame.

Definitely you need a short reach drop bar, as the MTB top tube is longer. ITM Randonneur used to be very handy, but not made any more I think. A lot of the (quote) Women specific bars are like this - also shallower drops seem to be back in fashion.

With a steel MTB stem, you can be pretty rough and prise it open enough (clamp bolt wrong way and 1p trick) to slip the bars through. Obviously a neater job is to use the right road stem and bars. For the shorter reach you typically need a stem around 20-30mm shorter than the MTB one.

Thanks Hamster; that's exactly what I needed - a concrete suggestion of a set-up and a suitable DB model. I stupidly chucked away all my road gear years ago so I didn't even know where to start.

Look for 130-140mm drop - ITM certainly publish this in their data.

Just had another thought - try 3T Forma Randonneur or ITM Kero.

I did just the same thing.

SAM_0180.JPG

I just went with modern stem these and it did the job fine with some old cinelli bars

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back