Scunthorpe ride 17.07.11 the aftermath...

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
A quality ride with beer, coffee, cake and exposed body parts :shock:

Just over 20 miles was covered with the weather threatening rain for most of the time, a few refreshing showers didn't dampen our spirits, but the deluge in the last mile or so almost did as it was a proper soaked to the skin downpour!

Thanks to Longun for showing us the trails and to ChrisV40 for the idea of a Scunthorpe ride, made a change from the routes we usually do

Plenty of tight twisty singletrack sections led to the pub for beer and a few snacks, it was one of those 'are you local...' type pubs :LOL:

After the beer stop we continued north and met up with a couple of bikers doing a very similar route, they tagged onto our group and showed us a couple of more interesting detours along the way.

Next stop was the cake stop right at the northern most point of the route, top quality tea rooms in the last place you'd expect one, highly recommended :cool:

As time was pressing on due to the usual stopping for banter/beer/cake a more direct route back was in order. With a Spitfire roaring over our heads we made our way back to the start point with an interesting Dragon based detour.

One thing that really surprised me, apart from slmracing's semi naked body was the amount of sand we attempted to ride through, felt like I was back at home on the beach, if you ever need to know which tyres for this route it's any that can deal with sand ;)

Oh and the nettles, and brambles.... how many were there! I'm sure it's a breeding ground for the buggers :LOL:

No pics from me as I found my camera battery dead this morning, but I do have a GPS log of the route here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99787794

quick summary from me

sun
sand
stinging nettles
beer
mazes
tea and choc cake
sand
dragon
effin downpoor
Spitfire
fun!

thankyou to everyone,was a top days riding, think i onl;y have 1 pic so will post after sunday dinner at the in laws :LOL:

scunthorpe sunday

great ride. i will elaborate later on but, have this pic for now ;) stu being a nature man gently place the wasp on the nearest leaf to continue its daily business after it had violently stung his obliques!

:shock:

DSCF0124-1.jpg

What a fantastic ride :)

Great trails, great views and great company.

Thanks to Chris for guiding us and getting us all back to the cars more or less on time.

The weather and wasps were the only downs on a top day, hope your ok now Stu.

Pics coming up soon.

Todays ride was sponsored by Savlon.....brambles, nettles, and wasp stings being the main causes. My shins are still tingling now from the nettles!

And who'd have thunk there'd be so much sand in Scunthorpe?

What a great day out. Just a shame it had to be cut short due to roast dinner dates.

Looking forward to the North bank ride already.

No pictures from me, sorry.

A good ride, apart from that dam wasp, it still hurts now, it got me right in the rib cage, how can something so small inflict that amount of pain.

Still enjoyed the day and the company, I think a first aid course will be next on my list of things to do, I have seen how the smallest of incidents can soon turn serious, so I would like to know how to deal with it when it happens.

Think I will go to dalby next weekend to do the 50k ride, anyone else up for it :D :D

Back