Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel SE

I used to have the same type of Thompson as you on my Lynskey, but I swapped it out for a cheapie titanium one - but it suits the bike so much more than the original one did:

2e4fe5b7.jpg

I think you'll struggle to get a stylish off-the-peg stem. I can only think of the Nitto CT-80 but it might look a bit gay on your IF (although I think this stem is one of the most beautiful things available to mankind and I'm sure it can be bought in 31.8 if you look hard enough, you're at an advantage shopping for one in the States). I'm fairly certain the Nitto UI21EX is available in black and its 31.8mm. This Velo Orange stem is too silver (and a bit too low-end) for your red, yellow and black ride. Might be worth paying a builder for something distinctive and bespoke for that sort of bike. Things like that always look incredibly cool.

I think your choice of good-looking stems are limited by your choice of 31.8mm handlebars though. I downsized back to 26mm (although the same stem I bought is available in oversize). As much as I hate them when it comes to maintainance I much prefer side-loading stems and I really like stems where the bolts are all exposed, especially the ones that clamp it to the steerer.

Btw, I noticed on one of your other threads that you own a fantastic yellow and black Flite Titanium. How on Earth has it not found its way onto your IF?

Alistair

Thanks for the stem rec's. I've been dialing things in on short rides. It feels good, but I still think the front end could stand to be a little lower. The fillet brazed Nittos are great looking, but I don't know if they'd fit the build. Hmm...

In other news, this morning I finally had time to get all kitted up and head out on a proper road ride instead of just putzing around town.

Walked home, but only after I had made it out about two miles. Better to remember a pump next time. D'oh!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 11.28.18 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 11.28.18 AM.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,455
Good news about that stem :D

Attachments

• tumblr_lmfszbVAoF1qdf2a2o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lmfszbVAoF1qdf2a2o1_500.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,447
Had some Vredesteins so I pulled the Gatorskins <snif> and went down to 23c. I also tried flipping the stem. I think I need to get a 0 or -10 degree and give it a shot with fewer spacers. This is rideable no problem, but I think aesthetically the horizontal stem on the sloping TT is a little odd. Meh, a proper fitting will come before the end of the month.

A couple updates:

Attachments

• IF.jpg
    IF.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IF2.jpg
    IF2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IF3.jpg
    IF3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IF4.jpg
    IF4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,136
Just nitpicking coz its a gorgeous bike... would be spot on in my book if seatpost were black to complement the predominantly all-black components.

Back