Saracen Rufftrax restoration - the finished bike!!

JohnH":zwovjpvf said:
Well, Tourney was in the 1990s what Acera is today -- Shimano's cheapest range of components.

No, they are still making Tourney. :cry:
It's on all the Toys R Us type todge.

So much for a cheap bike, had a bit of a spend up on ebay today.....cables, inner & outer, brakes & gears, bridge cables, new crank, STX rapid fire shifters, 'o' rings, seat post, tyres, grips, pedles & chain......for starters, a couple of other bits I have my eye on........plan is if it all arrives by the end of the week I maybe able to start my build!

In between the rain today.......

004-1.jpg

6pm today, came over a bit dark all of a sudden, just got cleared away before it tipped it down!

001-1.jpg

Wow! That looks really good. Those yellow cables might divide opinion, but otherwise, the bike's looking really smart... :cool:

Got the brakes all set up properly, fitted new Duro tyres (the tyres they origionally came on). Also got the spacer I needed to fit the cassette! Just waiting to take delivery of the STX front mech (purchased off here from clockworkgazz) this week, then I'll be able to get her completed.

002.jpg

004-2.jpg

Seat bought off here from azaro (top man) real quick delivery & looks the part :)

001-2.jpg

Hope you are enjoying the build pics......trying to take them as I go, inbetween busts of rain :D

1997BlackC5":1374peqi said:
Hope you are enjoying the build pics...
I am! In the very first pictures you posted when you were stripping and cleaning the bike, the frame looked to me to be grey -- but now I can see it's more of a cool, understated grey-green colour, and those handlebar grips suit the bike very well. :)

I was thinking of using a new crank (a 42, 32, 22T) as per this photo:

004-1.jpg

After cleaning up the origional one I'm now thinking of using that as per photo below. One of the reasons I was thinking of changing it was because some of the teeth were a tad worn but I reckon it will still work fine & I think the black/silver of the origional will work better than the all black.

011-1.jpg

What do you think guys?

ps the original is a 46, 36, 26T (better for commutting).

Finally finished the build, here are some pics of the refurbed & upgraded bike, managed to get 2 elite bottle cages off ebay for a song aswell!

SaracenRufftrax017.jpg

SaracenRufftrax016.jpg

SaracenRufftrax006-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax005-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax004.jpg

SaracenRufftrax002.jpg

SaracenRufftrax014-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax012.jpg

SaracenRufftrax008-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax007-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax013-1.jpg

SaracenRufftrax009-1.jpg

And one reminder of how it looked when I got it.....

SaracenRufftrax001.jpg

Back