Steerer tube safety advice? headset gouge!

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hiya, I've been preparing a midskool Giant Terrago MTB for a cheap commuter for a buddy.

I opened up the ropey headset bearings last night and the race casing at the top bearings was all broke up and the broken race/bearing have worn a gouge(sp?) into the steerer tube. :( There is a a line all round with the front of the steerer tube approx 0.5mm deep.
The forks are SR suntour items, and seem surprisingly healthy otherwise., steerer looks like steel and approx 2mm thick.

I'll try grab a photo, risky, even for urban commuting?

Thanks

If it's steel, I wouldn't worry. If Alu run as fast as your legs will carry you to the bin.

There is a chilling thread on the CTC forum about a cracked through Alu steerer.

Yeah I've been a bit overly paranoid about Alloy for a while now, though super hardened high end hardcore stuff should be ok.

Back to the brief though, heres a few pics. my mate is keen to risk it! If it is inspected now n then it should be ok... :)

(PS I've filed it lightly to remove raised sections caused by gouge)

Attachments

• SDC14724.JPG
    SDC14724.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 874
Personally, I would ride it. Of course, it's for each to assess risk. Threaded steerers were always like this...it was called threads. :D

Ah but clamp is different on threaded versions, an internal clamp lower down. though my BMX forks are a hybrid, aheadset with a screw on top cap.

Hmm, it shoud be ok as long as it doesnt fracture across weakspot.

My other idea,, which I'm not sure about due to heat, is: welding a bead around it... might make it worse with my skills...

thanks

If that damage is in line with, or above, the top race then I wouldn't ride it, nor would I give it to anyone else to ride.
The perfect stress riser right where you least want it - I'd scrap the steerer tube and, if it's not removable, that means the crown and stanchions too.

Interesting. I recently discovered a similar issue on my modern P7. The compression collar on the Hope headset had begun to wear and come into contact with the alu steerer tube on my Fox forks.
It started with a creaking noise from the headset and fortunately, due to being fairly proactive about this sort of thing, I was able to identify the problem early upon disassembly.

The damage isn't as bad as the ones pictured, with just a wear line on the anodising, just back to bare metal. I don't anticipate the problem getting any worse now that I've filed back the compression collar by about 2mm with nice rounded edges so it's well away from the steerer.

I do now have an inkling of doubt about mine though, so when the forks do eventually go in for a full service I'll most likely invest in a new steerer, crown and stanchion assembly too.

Personally I'd be a little more worried about the gouge in the steerer pictured. I suppose it depends on the wall thickness of the steerer too though. The thicker the better.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I was quite shocked to see it, and although my mate wants costs down, I'd rather not pass it on as it is. Yeah the line is inline with top bearings.

I've won some cheap SR Suntours '9500', I know nowt about these forks but they look chunky :D so lets hope they have some life in em. :)

Back