Do I or don't I..?

PhilStone

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Been going out riding a lot more recently with a few clubs, and unsurprisingly my MuniMula is almost the only hard tail and definitely the oldest!

Before now I've always dismissed the idea of full suspension, never really ridden one so never really missed it, however after talking to a few of the guys from my era who are now on full suss' I think I'm starting to be swayed and having just had a quick look around I could get a FS frame for not too much money..

So, 2 things - should I be so easily swayed?

Secondly, if I should be, what Kona FS (99-02) frame can I simlplt xfr my kit over from my 99 MuniMula - will need to be V's as well and match my RC39 100mm forks..

Thanks all!

TBH I'm not sure I'd change to a late 90's / early 2000's FS frame. I had a GT XCR back then and didn't rate it at all. Tried others and they all felt too heavy and just not very good.

If you're getting a FS frame to use and not for retro reasons I'd get one as modern as possible.

Hear what your saying but what is there around that is low cost (wedding next year) and will accept most if not all of my existing kit? Can't upgrade to discs as wheels are V only...

Besides, I always liked Konas including the FS of that era..

Is it just that your bike is the oldest?
Are you the slowest? :?

I have the same frame (99 Cindercone) and I have to say that it is absolutely wonderful to ride. Mine is a rigid singlespeed build.

Later bikes are heavier built (CEN safety). There is a lot of cock talked (especially in the mags) about how you cannot ride anything if it isn't full sus.
If I believed MBR I would consider myself lucky to be alive after dropping my bike down a kerb.

Sure, there is a lot of stuff that you can crash over and down on a full susser as they are so competent, where you would need more finesse. It depends on the kind of riding you do.

I was quite anti full sus until I got one (cheap 2006 I Drive 5).

Now I'm not saying they are the best everywhere as they're not but where you can get the most out of one i.e Welsh trail centres and burly stuff they really are a lot of fun.

I am fortuanate enough to have a couple of hardtails as well and will always have so not sure whether I'd like to ride full sus all the time.

Try and get one as well as you hardtail then you'll have all bases covered!

Have you tried a modern hardtail? There's more to modern bikes than full suspension (not that some people here would believe it).

I'm still to be convinced about full suspension but I recently upgraded to a modern carbon hardtail frame and the difference was a revelation. Faster and more comfortable over all types of terrain.

Take some bikes out for a test or borrow some mates bikes.

hamster":3qgf3fn6 said:
Is it just that your bike is the oldest?
Are you the slowest? :?
Nope, usually one of the quickest on all but the most extreme trails (off which there are very few in Jersey!)

I have the same frame (99 Cindercone) and I have to say that it is absolutely wonderful to ride. Mine is a rigid singlespeed build.
I love the ride and handling of my MuniMula - as I'd never really used FS before I was more curious as to whether I was missing out..

Later bikes are heavier built (CEN safety). There is a lot of cock talked (especially in the mags) about how you cannot ride anything if it isn't full sus.
Agreed - my MuniMula weighs around 23lbs at present and is by far the lightest of all - one of the guys I was out with on Weds night rides a full Suss that weights 47lbs! I love the weight of my bike and the fact that I'm quicker than guys on brand new £4k bikes..

Neil G":3qgf3fn6 said:
Try and get one as well as you hardtail then you'll have all bases covered!
If only I could! :)

Russell":3qgf3fn6 said:
Have you tried a modern hardtail? There's more to modern bikes than full suspension (not that some people here would believe it).

I'm still to be convinced about full suspension but I recently upgraded to a modern carbon hardtail frame and the difference was a revelation. Faster and more comfortable over all types of terrain.

Take some bikes out for a test or borrow some mates bikes.

I have thought about a Carbon HT or even a steel rather than alloy, perhaps I might explore that further..

So you are riding the oldest bike and its the only hardtail, and you are whupping them. What's not to like? :cool:

You could go even further retro and rub it in more :twisted:
Sounds to me like you have no bike problem at all, just want a new bike.

I know saving your money is deeply unfashionable, but I'd recommend it. I replaced my 14 year old car last year, which while a little scruffy at the edges worked perfectly. Now I'm worried about where I park. I miss that car.

I'm not looking for a newer bike or to go modern, I want to try out a FS from the same era - I'm thinning it more of an itch to scratch...

So I'll still be whooping them on an old bike ;)

Think I want a Kikapu, but how much of my MuniMula will swap over?

If the FS is the same head tube size you might not have to change much. If the bb, head tube and seat post size are the same it should all swap right over. ;)

Back